• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

No memory of something I've done

F

Foggy

As I post this, I'm in a panic. I'm a healthy 47 year old woman whose only health complaints are asthma, allergies, migraines and some minor arthritis. I've always been fairly forgetful about daily, non-important things. I have a hard time remembering names of people I've just met, the name of a movie or band, that 'it's on the tip of my tongue' thing where as soon as someone else starts to say it, boom! There it is. Important things, though, I tend to remember with almost photographic precision down to what everyone was wearing, where they were sitting, etc.

This morning I hit the first ever incident of having zero memory of doing something. I recently remarried and have been waiting over a week to get my new license with the corrected name to meet with a headhunter who advised that I should wait until all of my documentation for the paperwork had the corrected, matching name. I have went to the mailbox each day hoping it would appear. Last night I told my husband that if it wasn't in today's mail, I was going to contact the DMV to have another sent. When I got up this morning, I looked online to see if there were a minimum number of business days before they would send another and if I would have to pay.

My husband phoned from work at lunch and asked why I had been acting as if I hadn't received it when it was right in my wallet. I argued that he must've seen the old one, then went to my wallet and there it is. I get the mail daily. I asked if he could have possibly gotten it and just put it on the table where I picked it up assuming it was my old one and threw it in there, but he's been as anxious to get it as I so that I can return to work.

I have zero memory of getting this and of putting it in my wallet. Nothing. I truly believed it had not come yet and was even arguing with him over it. Has anyone else had an incident of this type? If it were forgetting that I picked up bread or something routine, I wouldn't think much of it, and probably have had these incidents and shrugged them off since they weren't the kind of thing that were important enough for me to definitely notice, but I'm afraid this is just the one that is exposing a problem. Has anyone noticed this type of thing as a start to memory decline or dementia?

MarlieeB

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum.

I was wondering. Are you going through the change at the moment? That is what happened to my Mum while she was and now she's fine.

Maybe just in case go to your Doctor and explain what is going on with them maybe?

x

F

Foggy

Thank you for the welcomes and the response :)

Marlieebee - I actually have a doctor appt. for tomorrow, made a couple of weeks ago, since I think that might be starting. I hadn't thought of that. I'll have to look into that and see if it's possible. Coming from a family history of dementia and alzheimer's and having witnessed the destruction they cause always throws red flags, particularly when it's something like this where I don't remember it after the fact like "oh yeah, I did buy one of those". This was different since I was anxiously awaiting it and even after finding it had no recollection, whatsoever.

S

Savenn01

Remembering and forgetting things is a perfectly normal part of daily life. But we need not fear that the extreme and progressive cognitive decline that characterizes senile dementia will be an inevitable part of our aging process.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Dementia Forum 7