• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

No Meds

G

gar66605

We have all heard of, or experienced, what happens when someone, who is bipolar, quits their medications. I have not been medicated for two (2) years now. Not by choice. I am allergic to all psychiatric drugs. This might sound unlikely but it is not. Psychiatric drugs all have similar formulas; if you are allergic to one, you have a high probability of being allergic to others. My allergist explained this to me. Two years ago, I developed a med rash and was placed in an acute mental health care facility. The longest stay is generally two (2) weeks. I spent four (4) and a half (1/2) months there. They tried every drug their pharmacy carried for bipolar but none worked out. I was an unusual patient as I had never deliberately stop taking my meds. Now I have no help, from meds, for my illness. This has forced me to remove myself from almost all social contact. Social contact almost always is negative for myself and those I come in contact with. The loneliness wears on me and I think it is worse due to being bipolar.

JessisMe

JessisMe

Why does having no meds mean no social contact?

D

Deleted member 92692

We have all heard of, or experienced, what happens when someone, who is bipolar, quits their medications. I have not been medicated for two (2) years now. Not by choice. I am allergic to all psychiatric drugs. This might sound unlikely but it is not. Psychiatric drugs all have similar formulas; if you are allergic to one, you have a high probability of being allergic to others. My allergist explained this to me. Two years ago, I developed a med rash and was placed in an acute mental health care facility. The longest stay is generally two (2) weeks. I spent four (4) and a half (1/2) months there. They tried every drug their pharmacy carried for bipolar but none worked out. I was an unusual patient as I had never deliberately stop taking my meds. Now I have no help, from meds, for my illness. This has forced me to remove myself from almost all social contact. Social contact almost always is negative for myself and those I come in contact with. The loneliness wears on me and I think it is worse due to being bipolar.
Wow thats rough. Cant imagine coping for years with no meds. Your doing well considering 👍

C

chess_player

That sounds really difficult. As someone who was greatly helped by medication I can only imagine what it must be like to go without it for a long time. Just know that there are people who care about you!
All the best,
CP

HLon99

HLon99

This might sound a bit out there, but have you considered ECT? It has been known to help people who otherwise cannot take/don't respond well to medication such as pregnant women.

G

gar66605

ECT? My doctor suggested it as a possibility. Though nothing came of it. I have heart problems as well as other physical problems and they aren't confident my heart wouldn't be affected. I also live well over 200 miles from a facility which could provide it. It hasn't been tried yet.

U

Uther

I hear ya man. I can't have anti depressants because of negative effects. It's tough for bi polar because meds are usually the preferred treatment.

G

gar66605

Yes, meds are the go to treatment. So much so that there is really little else available. I wonder if anyone has seriously tried to create other options.

H

healthybrain

Being not able to take anti depressants is a giveaway symptom of bipolar.
Sucks you dont have the option for med. But on a positive I'v though of going off meds just so I could feel again, so you do have that.

E

Evykaye

I was off my meds for a month but not by choice. I was a wreck. I couldn’t sleep. I had trouble concentrating. I became somewhat manic and I was argumentative. And I just set around and cried a lot. I was living with my ex- boyfriend at the time. He couldn’t take it anymore so he took me to the clinic and insisted they give me back my meds. I’m hard to love or even like when I’m not on my meds

G

Gratefultobewell

That’s really tough, I can’t imagine what my life would be without meds. I did have ECT which helped me a lot. I think there is another alternative, but I don’t know much about it, they do something with magnets. Maybe someone else here knows more.