No meds on a mission.

R

Ramson mash

I have not taken any meds and i can see the differerece. I am my normal self. The bubble is not nice to live in and unhealthy. I know i can handle it, psychosis. Is not a worry for me. Infact i say bring it on. I need to see the world for its true self and not be influenzed by drugs.

R

Ramson mash

Every post i have made in this forum is because i am weak.

J

Jules5

I know the feeling Ramson mash not wanting to be on medications. I am currently reducing two of my meds right now and I am having side effects-clenching teeth a woozy feeling inside. Just be careful about the effects of withdraw it might be better to talk to your gp about it.
What meds are you on?

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Please be careful Ramson. Are you saying you’ve stopped all meds at once cos that can be really dangerous. You may feel fine and clear headed now but believe me you will get some effects later on. I stopped my quetiapine but did it over 18 months and felt great for three months then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Really bad depression which lasted for 4 months. Ive come thru it now and am still off the quetiapine but take all my other meds as prescribed. I dont want to come across as preaching but please take care of yourself and if you find your moods changing either up or down you must see your GP

R

Ramson mash

I know the feeling Ramson mash not wanting to be on medications. I am currently reducing two of my meds right now and I am having side effects-clenching teeth a woozy feeling inside. Just be careful about the effects of withdraw it might be better to talk to your gp about it.
What meds are you on?
Cheers jules, let me get my med box out...
Mirtazipine, Cyclizine, Buccastem, Zimovane, Aripriprizole, sertraline. So thats a good chunk of meds i have to pay for to keep my shit stable. It doesnt seem right from the beginning. My doc has a duty to tell me to stay on them.
I feel strong about this, every bit of illness plays on its addictions, quick fixes, drugs, impulses. Even when i am low, i rely on others to pick me up. That is counterproductive.

R

Ramson mash

Please be careful Ramson. Are you saying you’ve stopped all meds at once cos that can be really dangerous. You may feel fine and clear headed now but believe me you will get some effects later on. I stopped my quetiapine but did it over 18 months and felt great for three months then it hit me like a ton of bricks. Really bad depression which lasted for 4 months. Ive come thru it now and am still off the quetiapine but take all my other meds as prescribed. I dont want to come across as preaching but please take care of yourself and if you find your moods changing either up or down you must see your GP
Thats not preaching daf. Thanks for your advice and support.
My gp is very good. She was very understanding when i was depressed and needed time off.
I know my illness better than my care co ordinator though, he thinks i am vulnerable to psychotic episodes. I do not feel this way because my psychosis was based on truth, not fabrications of my mind. Therefore i have a means to stop them from happening, by taking control of my reality. Hope that makes sense.

R

Ramson mash

When 911 happened i was about 14. My friends mother was quite eccentric. She convinced us all that there would be a big war over here. Mosques would be burned down, muslims would retaliate etc.
We went outside to play and started noticing things. This was my first experience of psychosis.
For me it has always been a case of outside influence which skews the truth and presents a false reality.

L

Lunar Lady

Ramson, please listen to Daffy....that's a lot of meds.

I understand your thinking but it will need to be a gradual process, as advised by your GP. You might end up in serious crisis otherwise.

I'm concerned by your comments here about "weakness". Abandoning meds is not a show of strength - nor is your ability to cope mentally anything to do with 'being strong' or 'being weak'. Psychotic episodes can not be controlled by will power. Without medication, you risk the loss of your job as well as your sanity.

Here for you - and concerned. xxx

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

Hey Ransom just take care mate, going cold turkey could be too quick a change, just my two cents but speak to your GP and get some professional advice and guidance X

megirl

megirl

Ransom please be cautious reducing meds is a slow process but it does need to be step by step. Maybe one medication at a time so please do this under a doctors supervision. They can't stop you wanting to get off them but please just get someone to monitor you through the process

P

Pixieb34

Hi I hate meds too. I’m not saying this will happen to you but I tried to go off meds completely and after 4 days I got nasty withdrawals, headache, insomnia etc, so I had to go back and lower them really slowly, my experience might not be the same as yours, you might be fine. I totally get why you want to stop meds but watch out for withdrawals. Hopefully you won’t get them.

R

Ramson mash

Thanks for everyones input. I just felt like this was something i can put my mind to. Like when i got into fitness for a bit. I cling on to these hopes that i can change because these are the only indications that i have in regards to having control of my life, just for one day i want to be productive instead of useless.
If i can see, any change, positive or negative, then i can tick boxes. More drastic the better. THINGS WILL CHANGE. that is my thinking.
Having read everyones thoughtful responses, I will certainly consult my doctor about this. I expect it to be a short convo, but atleast i can actually help us both by identifying what happens to me when i go cold turkey.

Thanks everyone.

J

JCPraha

I am glad you are doing so well on no meds. That's great. I wish I could do that. But I am afraid, I have become reliant on them.

R

Ramson mash

I am glad you are doing so well on no meds. That's great. I wish I could do that. But I am afraid, I have become reliant on them.
Truth is JC, its only been four days without meds. If situations were different for me, i may not feel so ready. For example if i felt alone with no where to find advice, so i am grateful to everyone.
Im not doing well. There are side effects i cant ignore, in my eyes, my temple, my stomach, chest.

R

Ramson mash

I am going to phone for an appointment tomorrow morning. Im in a much better position to explain my thoughts :)

J

Jules5

Ramson Mash the brain has power to do the impossible but them meds have done whacked it out. Your brain is not the same anymore it is going to go through withdraw. I was over taking my Valium a few years back so I run out and I had hallucinations that were horrific I sat in my room for 2 weeks. I finally started back on the meds again. When I was younger I could get off anything quick and in a hurry but my brain has aged and things are not the same. My growth stage has stopped so I can not get away with just anything anymore. So please get back on your meds ASAP.

I am withdrawing from two meds now very slowly. Like Daffy said meds have serious side effects. Do it slowly.

R

Ramson mash

Ramson Mash the brain has power to do the impossible but them meds have done whacked it out. Your brain is not the same anymore it is going to go through withdraw. I was over taking my Valium a few years back so I run out and I had hallucinations that were horrific I sat in my room for 2 weeks. I finally started back on the meds again. When I was younger I could get off anything quick and in a hurry but my brain has aged and things are not the same. My growth stage has stopped so I can not get away with just anything anymore. So please get back on your meds ASAP.

I am withdrawing from two meds now very slowly. Like Daffy said meds have serious side effects. Do it slowly.
That sounds awful Jules. I do have alot of fear for my future and how i will cope. Horrific hallucinations most certainly would have to be triggered somehow in my case. I had not considered that my withdrawal would bring about these.
But im coming to a reasoning here. My hallucinations were a result of emotions. My depression was also this reason. They have a source, the lack of meds or indeed the use of drugs can intensify these emotions. This scares me as i may be combining the two negatives.

LizBo

LizBo

I know it's expensive RaMa. Maybe just taking the Sertraline could help with mood as it has negligible side effects and; being an anti depressant, it might just take the edge off withdrawal.

Your goal's of course important, but the journey is too. Please speak with your GP about the money side of things. I have a pharmacy account where I get my med's on credit until pay day if I'm short. Your GP may be able to make a call to one in your local area for emergency support or have another idea that's relevant to your NHS.

Looking at options, you should also include a Safety Plan - steps to take if things get out of control. As @Jules5 says, your brain has physically changed, so it needs time to adjust. Don't forget, it's in control of you, not the other way round.

Here for you on your journey...
Liz

J

JCPraha

It can be very difficult to come off of meds. Many people have terrible withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you are experiencing some of them. It seems like once one begins with meds and stays on them for a while, it is quite difficult to terminate them. I hope it can work out well in your case.

R

Ramson mash

I have definately been tinking the exact same @LizBo . I can cross out my sickness and sleep tablets and stick with the anti psychotic and Sertraline for now.
Money was my initial reason for not getting my prescription. My family helped with that. I will take my sertraline after my dinner later.
Don't forget, it's in control of you, not the other way round.

Here for you on your journey...
Liz
I have realised this and it hit me quite hard this morning. I've hardly eaten since i stopped taking them, keep throwing up. I need to eat something. I made a big mistake and feel completely different about this now:doh:

Thank Liz your guidance and support means alot to me :hug:

It can be very difficult to come off of meds. Many people have terrible withdrawal symptoms. It sounds like you are experiencing some of them. It seems like once one begins with meds and stays on them for a while, it is quite difficult to terminate them. I hope it can work out well in your case.
Thank you JC its good to know your perspective on this. I'll just try to work on it. Goodluck to yourself aswell and i hope it works out for you also.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Depression Forum 3
daffy Depression Forum 4
M Depression Forum 2
Sorry state Depression Forum 6
M Depression Forum 13