• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

No idea what's going on with my head, please help...

C

charanguista

Hi all,
I'm new here and I do realise that this is a support forum and not a place for medical advice per se, but since I've never had any doctors able to figure out why I am the way I am, I wondered if anybody here had experienced anything similar or has any ideas what may be causing it. I thought this subforum was probably the best place to post this, but please feel free to move it somewhere more suitable if not.

I am a 27 year old female, and as long as I can remember I have had a low tolerance for stress and easily become exhausted and/or depressed. I've suffered with depression on and off for most of my life. My earliest memory of it was in junior school at about 10 or 11 years old. What I think had a large impact on it becoming a regular thing though was the mental and physical bullying I went through at secondary school. I was so desperate to get away from that I left school at 16 and went to a local college. I felt a bit happier there but never completely settled. I then went to university to study the same subject. This was the first time I'd lived away from home and it was a spectacular disaster. I became so depressed I couldn't function, and spent a lot of time avoiding the world in my room, being unable to leave the house and crying most of the time. Towards the end of my time at university I became suicidal and made serious plans to end my life. I've now been back living with my parents for 6 years since returning from university. I've did a string of menial jobs in shops and offices which I hated, but finally went into care work, which I am still doing now and very much enjoy. During my time since university, the depression has come back from time to time, but never as severely, and although there has been a few times of feeling suicidal, my thoughts were never as serious as back then, and I never made any plans. My problem is that I feel stuck in a rut. I feel like a burden to my parents, because I can't earn enough to move out, and I do understand that is a common problem with house prices as they are. However I find myself unable to work more than part-time. Every time I have tried to work full-time or anything close to it, I find I end up getting very exhausted and unable to cope. I am someone who really needs their sleep. I sleep at least 10 hours a night, often more, and if I get less than that I find it makes me worse able to cope with anything, and more prone to depression in the long term. My mother says she's the only child she's ever looked after who she never had to tell to go to bed (I have two older brothers).

So... does anyone have any idea why I get so tired so easily? Does anyone have any idea why I am so unable to cope with any pressure or stress that other people seem to take in their strides? Does anyone have any idea why I have this recurring depression (even though much better these days)? I have had blood tests for iron, vitamin d, hormones and various other things which all came back normal. I don't remember ever having a blood test for thyroid problems, so that's a possibility.

Apologies for the long post. I just feel so frustrated and trapped, and I wish I could move on with my life.

*autumn*

*autumn*

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi charanguista, welcome to the forum. I am sorry I am unable to help you but I hope others are able to. I hope you don't mind me asking and it seems a silly question; are you taurean?

C

charanguista

Hi charanguista, welcome to the forum. I am sorry I am unable to help you but I hope others are able to. I hope you don't mind me asking and it seems a silly question; are you taurean?
As in is my star sign Taurus? Nope I'm a Leo.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.

Do get your thyroid checked if you haven't already, just to rule that out.

It's funny, I just wrote in another thread that depression can be really intense in terms of how tired it can make you feel. Don't under-estimate just how much it can sap the energy out of you.
I've been convinced that i've had fibromyalgia before, yet when i'm not depressed my body and energy levels are improved - so I really know how bad depression can make you feel physically.

Have your parents ever made a comment that made you feel unwelcome? It's just that I can understand how you might feel like a burden, but i'm sure they're understanding of how things are.
Even young people who are working full time can't afford to live alone. It's the way the economy is at the moment. Whilst frustrating for you, you must remember that you aren't being a burden at all.

Have you ever been treated for depression? Anti-depressants or anything like that?

C

charanguista

Welcome to the forum.

Do get your thyroid checked if you haven't already, just to rule that out.

It's funny, I just wrote in another thread that depression can be really intense in terms of how tired it can make you feel. Don't under-estimate just how much it can sap the energy out of you.
I've been convinced that i've had fibromyalgia before, yet when i'm not depressed my body and energy levels are improved - so I really know how bad depression can make you feel physically.

Have your parents ever made a comment that made you feel unwelcome? It's just that I can understand how you might feel like a burden, but i'm sure they're understanding of how things are.
Even young people who are working full time can't afford to live alone. It's the way the economy is at the moment. Whilst frustrating for you, you must remember that you aren't being a burden at all.

Have you ever been treated for depression? Anti-depressants or anything like that?
My energy levels don't seem to improve when I'm not depressed. In fact it's often the other way round. My inability to cope because of a lack of energy often leads to me burning out completely and become depressed.

My parents have never said anything to that effect, that's all inside my own head.

Yes I've been treated for depression. I've been on anti-depressants pretty much solidly since university. I'm on a low dose at the moment.