• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

No friends

E

EasternAir94

Does anyone else have no friends because of their depression?

C

chefbengenie

i think it is more of the isolation that we create around ourselves which impacts our lack of friends. That is what feeds the depression unfortunately, but getting friends and maintaining interaction is what i think is the hardest. I associate at work but do nothing once i leave, eventhough i have friends i just don't do anything with them.

E

EasternAir94

How does a person find themselves in such a situation?

BPDevil

BPDevil

i have friends but i cant keep close ones because of bpd

FadeToBlack

FadeToBlack

I have been through two sets of friends.

There was the ones at school who were into drugs. I had to stop hanging out with the because I had to go through a court order to get clean or go back to juvenile prison. As it worked out I ended up in hospital instead.

Last time I thought I'd made friends with people who did not do drugs all the time, and were pretty friendly. I was unwell for about a year, and scared most of them away. The I told the last standing I had Schizophrenia, and never spoke to him again.

It has been 8 years now, and I manage without them for the most part. I guess I rationalise it as I had toxic drug addict friends, and then dis-loyal ones who didn't want to know me when I was sick and needed them to help me.

I accept I will be alone.

B

Barn Owl

Do not worry about being bipolar remember the saying a friend in need is a friend indeed No one ìs perfect

H

harsh-reality

I got two friends from childhood still and one from university days but was isolated where I live apart from elderly parents but started recovering once more by attending a mental health support and social group - all with differing conditions - its helped knowing others that struggle and some do better then me and some really struggle big time but they friends all the same and having this now in my life has enabled my own mental health to improve a great deal - as when I found working beyond me - it was my isolation that kept me unwell most of the time.

I would recommend everyone to try any kind support social groups / activities as it could be the most important step towards recovery and feeling well and ok.

ie lack of money etc is much easier to approach if you know others who can relate with feeling rubbish and without much to occupy your time....

If anxieites are massive - they will be at first - it was slow progress for me - I was very unwell and its taken ages to feel comfortable with new people but known a few now for last five years or so and it gets easier.

I used get panic attacks even going out door but eventually they go away - ie if keep challenging fears - I was in such a state I did realise I had to do something otherwise that was to be my life going forwards and I didn't want that at all. Isolation is horrible but its not definite to always be the way it will always be.

I thought that would always be my fate but it seems it wasn't but yes its very scary to start with but worth the effort long term. It will be hard but its absolutely worth it but its slow progress and sometimes can seem fall backwards on occasions - probably the best advice might be what is there to lose with putting self into potential new friends can be made....

Yep and none my friends like me but I get different things from different people ie I not have a lot in common with some but we still get on ie mutual support etc ….

Like on here but in real life etc....

P

Protichi

Yes. Well, i make friends when I'm high, lose them because i grow needy during my low.

P

Protichi

You are not alone man. I blame my self for driving away my friends. But, yeah, all of them leave

M

Miss piggy

I actually thought I had a lot, maybe ten good friends, 3 that I consider family. But then someone pointed out that I have none. I was suicidal at the time so yeah, thanks for that matey. The same person, let’s call him Dr Cheese, also told me that I wouldn’t have bipolar if I went to the gym and I’d “actually” make friends. Obviously my friends think Dr Cheese is a bad egg and needs removing from my life. Tend to agree.

I’m lucky though. I’ve had one friend for 35 years. She’s nothing like me. She’s very well and has a great family and attitude. I’m surprised she’s stuck with me this long. I feel very lucky.

Some people will care, even if they can’t fully empathise. She once did a 250 mile trip to see me, but I was nocturnal and heavily medicated and didn’t hear the door. She didn’t blame me. I would’ve done. But she didn’t.

M

Miss piggy

Do not worry about being bipolar remember the saying a friend in need is a friend indeed No one ìs perfect
This is lovely. The best people to be around are ones with this ethos :)

M

Miss piggy

I’ve certainly lost more friends than I’ve got though. Sometimes isolation is the cause. Sometimes it’s judgement on their part. It’s like they get scared when they find out I’ve got bipolar, like they’re expecting outlandish unpredictability. Funny because my psychologist had said I’m the most sensible person she’s ever had in her room. Although whether or not she’d recently changed buildings i’ll never know....

M

mimipi

I have one friend but they live hours away and I rarely speak to her these days which makes me sad when I think about it too much. I'm very close to my family and my boyfriend so I am grateful for that.

Jbb79

Jbb79

May-be We can be Friends, I'm Sort Manic And, psychotic x x You Won't believe the Crazy things, I say <3 <3