• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

No emotions (depression, medication, trauma, schizophrenia/psychosis)

B

Blackrose09

Can someone describe how it is like to feel no emotions:

In ptsd/trauma
In schizophrenia
In depression
And medication related

B

Blackrose09

Ok no need to I believe it is mostly because of depression in my case.

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

What is interesting to me is I feel like even though these different diagnoses can experience this, the way it affects us and our relationships with people is different...the way we act or don't act on it

B

Blackrose09

The depression is gone but now I feel very numb emotionally and not feeling like myself I'm a stranger to myself.
Felling numb is not the same as the complete lack of emotions.

I react with anger when I'm emotionally flat because I hate it. Other times I need to rest because I feel exausted. And I avoid people, I'm socially isolated from 3 years and this myght be the cause to my problem. I'm starved emotionally because of isolation and because I choose the wrong people in my life.
When I'm around people I can "feed" from their emotions.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Ive had most of my life shitzoffective and found that quetiapine flattened my mood completely . It was very good at stopping psychosis but i couldnt laugh or cry. I went for years feeling nothing, not happy but not sad. And i couldnt understand people laughing/crying at things on the TV. It did its job tho and I’m no longer on it and my emotions have come back. Although when my depression hits i just want to dig a hole and hide in it

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

That's so interesting to me, I react with anger when I am feeling emotions stronger, I guess because I am not used to it...for example I just got into a relationship and when I started feeling myself catching feelings, I was really irritable and angry and sad, which made me more irritable and angry and sad...confusing :LOL:

Normally I just feel always on edge, restless, a bit frantic..sometimes strongly, but most of the time they are distant like I think from the outside I might look emotionless aside from laughing and smiling a lot

That's good the depression is gone, mine is fading too now, I still feel a bit like a stranger to myself...I posted a post yesterday asking how to build a strong sense of self but no one answered 😅

B

Blackrose09

Ive had most of my life shitzoffective and found that quetiapine flattened my mood completely . It was very good at stopping psychosis but i couldnt laugh or cry. I went for years feeling nothing, not happy but not sad. And i couldnt understand people laughing/crying at things on the TV. It did its job tho and I’m no longer on it and my emotions have come back. Although when my depression hits i just want to dig a hole and hide in it
Hi daffy. I took quetiapine for 3 years and did not had that effect on me. Sorry you felt emotionally flat for years. Antidepressants make this symptom worse in my case. The same can laugh or cry when this is happening but it is so extreme that angers me. Can't stand it.
I'm glad your emotions comed back and sorry for your depression.

Yesterday night I felt happy, unusual happiness and today I feel the same almost euphoric and I don't want to take my antidepressant because it will make me emotionally flat. And when I feel euphoric all I want to do is engage in activities that cause mental exitment and pleasure. Some doctors belive this is a personality Trait and not mania. I ve changed doctors very often and because of that I'm very confused about my mental ilnesses.

B

Blackrose09

That's so interesting to me, I react with anger when I am feeling emotions stronger, I guess because I am not used to it...for example I just got into a relationship and when I started feeling myself catching feelings, I was really irritable and angry and sad, which made me more irritable and angry and sad...confusing :LOL:

Normally I just feel always on edge, restless, a bit frantic..sometimes strongly, but most of the time they are distant like I think from the outside I might look emotionless aside from laughing and smiling a lot

That's good the depression is gone, mine is fading too now, I still feel a bit like a stranger to myself...I posted a post yesterday asking how to build a strong sense of self but no one answered 😅
I'm the exact opposite regarding to how I react to emotions. For me, in the beginning of a relationship I feel good, to good almost like I'm high on drugs and I enjoy it.

I don't think I can ever build a strong sense of self...

B

Blackrose09

Sorry you feel like this i wish I can help but I don't know how. I can only tell you I take medication when i cannot control my intese emotions such as anxiety anger sadness

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

I'm the exact opposite regarding to how I react to emotions. For me, in the beginning of a relationship I feel good, to good almost like I'm high on drugs and I enjoy it.

I don't think I can ever build a strong sense of self...
I think that is pretty normal to feel almost high in the beginning of a relationship ☺ I have times of feeling this, especially now that some of my fear has died down...
I have these times of euphoria a lot actually, when I am not depressed, and I believe it's a personality trait for me, not mania

Why don't you think you can build a strong sense of self? 🙏
I didn't think I could either, for most of my life...it took me discovering that I am trans, discovering what music really speaks to me, and trying to have a healthy diet and exercise..to have any sort of sense of self..but now I understand after this recent depressive episode...how hard it can be to maintain those things...I am still trying to climb out of it

B

Blackrose09

Glad your fear is gone, hope things will go well further.
I meant bipolar and not mania, sorry for the mistake. Mania is the right word to describe how I feel sometimes.
You discovered interesting things about yourself and did well for having a healthy lifestyle. Sorry for your depression... Be still strong and patient and you will win the battle with depression.

I don't think I can build a strong sense of self because personality is to much fragmented, how to explain.. it feels like I share my body with other people/personalities. Some of them I don't recognise as being part of myself because I have nothing in commun with them. I mean I know it is me, like who can be in my body? Me. But their ethics are different, their thoughts too, their mood too and so on. This is so crazy

FlowerBox

FlowerBox

Glad your fear is gone, hope things will go well further.
I meant bipolar and not mania, sorry for the mistake. Mania is the right word to describe how I feel sometimes.
You discovered interesting things about yourself and did well for having a healthy lifestyle. Sorry for your depression... Be still strong and patient and you will win the battle with depression.

I don't think I can build a strong sense of self because personality is to much fragmented, how to explain.. it feels like I share my body with other people/personalities. Some of them I don't recognise as being part of myself because I have nothing in commun with them. I mean I know it is me, like who can be in my body? Me. But their ethics are different, their thoughts too, their mood too and so on. This is so crazy
I see...but you seem to already feel separated from them, this can be a good thing if you don't want to associate yourself with them..because if you are able to identify what thoughts/personalities/ethics are not yours...maybe that can be used to help you focus on your own self...

But I am just brainstorming...I don't know what it's like to deal with this specifically really so I am sorry...but I don't think it is impossible for you to build yourself