• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

No Diagnosis Update

D

darkorchid30

Hello all, thanks for replies to my post :) I very much hope you're well :grouphug:

I just thought I'd update you on what happened. I contacted the clinic for an assesment and the man I spoke to said I was clearly not as ill as I think I am otherwise my gp would have refferred me. (I said I was concerned about my lows and highs.) My gp, cpns, ot, never looked into my mood swings even though my Dad and partner both say I can be a bit of a nightmare when hyper.

Maybe I should just give up :cry:

Have any of you experienced closed doors and people just not listening?

Hugs and nice thoughts

Orchidxxx

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Unfortunately it's what happened to me. Although I think they 'ignored' me because I'm pretty young. It wasn't until last summer after a really bad low when I was referred back to CMHT who referred me to the Insight team whose pdoc diagnosed me just before christmas *takes deep breath in*
It seems you've got to be in total crisis for anyone to take notice of you!

Sorry I can't really offer any more advice, but my GP and my keyworker sent me for all sorts of tests before because they wanted to rule out anything physical before labelling me with Bipolar!

I don't know what else to suggest other than to change GP's and explain the situation to them and/or take someone who can vouch how bad your highs are!!

D

darkorchid30

Hi Lozzi, thanks so much for replying to my message. :) I'm sorry it took them so long to diagnose you, it must have been really hard for you. Hopefuly your doctor is being more helpful now

I think I see what you mean. I'm not in crisis yet, not even seriously depressed. My moods about a 5. I was trying to prevent myself becoming that ill again but I don't think they appreciate that.

That was a really good suggestion about taking someone with me to see the gp. My fiance has often remarked on how difficult I am when I'm hyper. He never gets any peace with it - I've been known to wake him up at four in the morning to talk look at my latest venture (there have been many) I get new obsessions all the time lol

Hugs & nice thoughts

Orchidxxx

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I haven't seen my GP for a while, but I had to change and my new GP was very understanding. She sent me off to councelling as well as giving me AD's (whereas the old one just threw the AD's at me and wasn't bothered about helping me in any other way). It was the councellors who actually picked up on just how bad I was (the big clue were the fresh cuts on my arm!) and told my GP to refer me... and the rest is history.

It's funny isn't it! You have to be pretty much dying before you're allowed any help, whether it's for mental or physical ailments and quite a few of them aren't bothered that you're helping yourself out - you're not ill at the time so you don't need help!! What's all that about?
The people I'm with are called "Insight" and it's early interventions for young people with psychosis and apart from a few hiccups getting started I'm pretty settled and they did stop my psychosis escalating into something worse I suppose.

It is a really good idea to have someone close to you go with you to see your GP, my friend came when I was manic because she knew something wasn't right (although that got ignored as the old GP thought I was funny and comical). So swapping GP's or even surgeries might have to be a possibility!
Haha, oh K know's about being woken up and receiving random texts :). It's the stuff like that which your fiance is good for when you're talking to your GP!

Good luck with it!
:flowers: