• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

nightmares

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
looking for some theories or words of wisdom

I am totally well adjusted during the day at the moment and have been for a number of months but I am having night after night of nightmares.

Usually revolving around being unwell again

anyone any ideas?

S

secretsquirrel

Founding Member
Nightmares

Sorry to hear about the nightmares, do they tend to just be about the potential threat of being unwell again? our minds tend to use the time we sleep to 'take out the trash' and I can totally identify with this, are you keeping up your 'sleep hygiene' and tracking how many hours you are sleeping?
If they continue and are also accompanied by hallucinations then I would suggest your seeing your doctor to discuss and maybe s/he could prescribe some light sleeping tablets.
Yoga is a great stress reducer and you can do it in your own home.

take care

D

Dollit

I echo the remarks by secretsquirrel. I'm a recovering alcoholic as well as being bipolar and under times of stress I dream about drinking. I don't want to drink but it was my way of coping for a long time. Awake I know best but once asleep the deeper urges come into play - which just proves you never recover from addiction. Re my bipolar, when I am ill and tantalisingly close to being well I dream that I'm okay and that my diagnosis is wrong and there's nothing wrong with my head at all. I think what ss says about clearing out trash is right also - we have to ditch some of our thoughts otherwise we wouldn't have room for new ones. So have a little look at things, are you under stress, taken something new one, worried about a friend or family or just a bit busier than usual? Take time to cool down and get rest, and don't worry!:tea:

midnight

midnight

Founding Member
thanks folks for the thoughts its great to get some feedback.

bobshocker

bobshocker

ACCOUNT CLOSED
i have repetative dreams, does anyone else get repetative dreams?

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Midnight, are you on medication that increases dreaming? I know Citalopram does and I am sure others do too.
Some drugs increase the amount of REM sleep we have while conversely, some reduce it and give us more non REM sleep. My pdoc says it is about finding the balance between.

HH

H

happyhappy

Founding Member
Only when stressed about a particular thing. It is quite unnerving

HH

F

friars126

It's awful isn't it!? One thing that helped me, bit of reverse psychology, was i would write them down as soon as i woke up and the minute i started to enjoy analysing them, they stopped!
I'm sure you've tried most of the practical suggestions already so i don't want to suggest anything too obvious.

F

friars126

I have a repetitive theme, i am always being chased and i hide but they find me and i have to run and hide again, always running and hiding, mmmmm, a psychodynamic dream that one:rolleyes:

Fluffymum

Fluffymum

I tend to have repetitive dreams about the end of the world, it's not nice but I get really imaginative in the dreams, I'm sure I could get a bloody good film out of them, everyone likes a good apocolyptic film don't they?

I think no screens or tv before bed helps, like an hour before.
Cheese before bed is a complete lie, it doesn't cause bad dreams.