Night Terror

L

Lottie3

Hi friends,

I have had problems dealing with my husband's work trips for years, they leave me completely distressed and terrified at night, real irrational terror. Each time it is groundhog day, chronic anxiety in the build up, in a mess when he goes, meltdowns, panic attacks and general instability. I used to manage to stay in the house, but I would get near hysterical every time and the exposure was not helping to get rid of the fear. I could not let my daughter see me like this so started staying in a local hotel, even this was completely stressful, with meltdowns and panic until we got settled in hotel. He is away for longer than usual in several days time and my husband has organised a carer to come and stay for the nights. You would think this would give me peace of mind, but my body and mind has gone in fight or flight mode and I have had extreme anxiety, depression and destructive thoughts for 4 days now. This is all completely irrational, but I can't think straight to comfort myself in anyway and am having bouts of screaming into pillows through fear. All pleasure in anything has gone and I have tipped over into irrational terror. If anyone can offer some comfort or advice I would be so grateful as I feel so isolated.

C

ConfusedNSad

Welcome to the forum. :) I hope you can feel better. I know when my anxiety/pyromania acts up, I have to take my Clonidine and do lots of relaxing breathing, visualizations, etc. to calm myself. It doesn't always work, so I try distracting myself as much as possible. Good luck and lots of hugs to you. :D

J

Jozee74

Hi, hope u managed your fear, going through something similar myself now so I know how u must feel. Its weird how we know its completely irrational but we can't control it. The advise is not to keep avoiding your fears but i'm afraid I do the same and spend periods of time at my mums house until my irrational thoughts subside instead of facing them head on. You are not alone, I hide my panic attacks from my children but afterwards when i'm tired and weepy I tell them that mummy's feeling sad and the cuddles we have are the best. Best wishes xxxx

L

Lottie3

Jozee74,

Thank you so much for your message. I agree, it is a totally horrible irrational fear and the terror takes over. I have tried facing the fear many times, but it is always the same, I get into a complete mess and have to protect my daughter from seeing me like this, which is why I use avoidance strategies. It's reassuring to know I am not alone in this and that you are a parent too. Hats off to you to manage to hide your panic attacks, I do try but she sees the odd one. I feel that my job as a parent is to make her feel as safe as possible, which is hard to do when you don't feel that yourself. You sound like you are doing the best job you possibly can. Maybe we can support each other through the next time this happens.

Best wishes,

Lottie3

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 7
K Generalized Anxiety Disorder Forum 8