• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Niece of Japanese emperor diagnosed with CPTSD

• Thread starter fragrant_violet
  • Start date
fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

I've never really understood the difference between CPTSD and PTSD but I think I do now.

Mako is the niece of the Japanese emperor. She's getting married this month to a commoner she met at uni over 10 years ago who's widely regarded as a chancer and a creep. When his mother left his stepfather, the jilted ex said that the money he paid for her son's tuition at a second rate law school in New York was not a gift but a loan. It caused a huge storm on social media and tabloid press and the abuse both suffered was merciless. She will forfeit her position in the royal family. They will marry in Japan but live in USA.

Understandably, the poor girl (now 30) broke down and became a recluse. She was diagnosed with CPTSD which in Japanese is called

複雑性心的外傷後ストレス障害

I just mention this as a reason why English not Chinese or Japanese is the world language.

Her aunt, empress Masako, got bad depression when she gave birth to a daughter not a son. Women can't become emperor. Being a female in the Japanese royal family is far worse than say in UK. In a conservative nation like Japan, the shame both were made to feel was unforgiving.

The stigma in Japan about mental health is improving but still bad. Many celebrities who come down with depression and have a unique chance to raise awareness chicken out and invent an excuse for fear of reprisals.

Just thought you might find this tale interesting. Doubt if it will get much coverage by BBC.

jajingna

jajingna

Interesting such a high-profile person in a "mind your own business" culture like Japan should receive this diagnosis and it become public knowledge.

On a bit of a tangent here, but was a comment I read (or was it in a movie?) that said something like, the best thing that can happen for sufferers of a particular problem (such as PTSD for example) is for a powerful politician to have it happen in their family. Once it is personal for the powerful person, something might get done about it that could help many people.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Yeah unfortunately Japan got malicious gossipers like anywhere else although probably less.

The CPTSD was not caused apparently by maliciousness in media but her own sense of shame that she was letting both families down by placing them so much in the spotlight. I'd say she probably don't use Facebook or read tabloids.

What's interesting now is that the couple won't be having a wedding ceremony. If they did she would be entitled to a one off payment of around $2.3 million US. Instead, she will hand in a signed form to an administrative office and emperor's your uncle. If I was her, I wouldn't be able to go through the rigmarole of dressing up and being televised in a long drawn out ceremony. The couple haven't actually met in 3 years.

Contrast her dignified behavior with another certain royal couple.

What could potentially be interesting is if they have a son. Rules for imperial succession will have to be changed and her aunt is too old now to have any more children. So would they go for a woman emperor or a man who is not a direct descendant. That's years down the line anyway

T

TruthPhoenix

Wow. Thanks for posting this. I did not realize the stigma in Japan was so severe. I feel so sorry for that poor girl. People do awful things to anyone they see as being a vulnerable target. Also, the feeling of shame that looks as though it were present from day one is terrible! I'm glad you posted about this especially since it is not American news. It's nice for someone to give a voice to people from other countries too. The US news for sure does not spend enough time reporting on the world outside of its own borders. I wish in so many ways that this was a better world where no one had to feel oppressed for having mental illness. That seems about as likely a possibility as that saying about people in hell wanting ice water though.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Today is actually Princess Mako's 30th birthday. She will get married this month I think then off to the USA to live permanently, where I guess she will get some media coverage over there.

The majority of Japanese folk like her but don't trust her fiancé. I don't know enough about him. I hope it all works out for them both.

M

MHFPokeplantz

the best thing that can happen for sufferers of a particular problem (such as PTSD for example) is for a powerful politician to have it happen in their family. Once it is personal for the powerful person, something might
So true

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

てぇcouple is off to NY tomorrow. They will live in rented apartment cost $8000 a month. His salary only $60,000 after he flunked his law exam. He will take again but his last chance. If he passes hed earn $200,000. She wants to work at Metropolitan museum but cant yet because of visa regulations.

They are still getting harshly treated by media and social media. Nobody seems to like him.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Is it only the Japanese media that treats them like this, or in other places too?

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Is it only the Japanese media that treats them like this, or in other places too?
I think global media are not that interested. Nor are most non-Japanese.

They are living in a luxury apartment I think lower east side costs $50,000 a month. The hubby will retake his law exam in February. I think he's bitten off more than he can chew. It's a tough exam and requires writing essays in English what can be really tough for non native speakers even if you know the answer.

Princess Mako is happy to be out of the toxic atmosphere in her own country. It will be interesting to see how they get along.

M

MHFPokeplantz

Hoping it turns out well for them, mainly that they dont need to leave it

すごい! Couldnt help off topic sorry

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Hoping it turns out well for them, mainly that they dont need to leave it

すごい! Couldnt help off topic sorry
Wow! Good stuff Pokemon.

Just read article saying there were 100 Japanese paparazzi at Kennedy airport when they arrived but they can't afford to camp out in lower East Side to follow them to see what vegetables they like.
But one foreign publication has started hounding them the Daily Mail, the world's most read English newspaper. What's the world coming to

M

MHFPokeplantz

Patience for them, media is rotten, kinda funny though how Japanese media is moving across the planet just for them, while the local media doesnt watch them and might barely know who they are lol, a bit bizarre

M

MHFPokeplantz

But one foreign publication has started hounding them the Daily Mail, the world's most read English newspaper. What's the world coming to
This foreign is not Japan media? If not then it will be tough

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Patience for them, media is rotten, kinda funny though how Japanese media is moving across the planet just for them, while the local media doesnt watch them and might barely know who they are lol, a bit bizarre
Es corretto. The foreign media in general finds it difficult to understand why so many Japanese (mainly older, right wing men) got so indignant and offensive. Young Japanese folk, especially girls, really respect her for it. She's what you might describe as a 'quiet rebel'. She studied in England too about 10 years ago.

fragrant_violet

fragrant_violet

Since Mako is the niece of the emperor, not daughter, it would be the same as Princess Margaret's daughter eloping. Lady Sarah Chatto. I bet not many Brits ever heard of her. So why the fuss about Mako. Probably because the J imperial family got so few offspring. There is no male heir, and if anything happened to the only daughter Princess Aiko, she would be the only candidate for the continuation of the imperial family. Aiko is 18 now and will go to uni next April. Probably this snobby one called Gakushuin where royals traditionally go. I'd love it if she done the same as Mako