• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Nice to meet you all! Important med question, too (:

• Thread starter AliceIsInWonderlandAgain
  • Start date
A

AliceIsInWonderlandAgain

Hey guys,
You can call me Alice. I am 20 yrs old, and music is my fking lifeline. I have close to a 10-year mental health treatment history. I was diganosed with probably every condition under the sun from ages 10-20, and only recently recieved a THOROUGH, ACCURATE evaluation and diagnosis. I live with schizoaffective disorder bipolar-type, along with comorbid generalized anxiety disorder. After recieving this diagnosis about 2 weeks ago, I had mixed emotions. I was relieved that I finally knew what was actually going on in my head, and it felt good to know that I wasnt beyond help, that there was an actual term for my condition. I didnt know much about schizoaffective disorder, but I've had a couple of friends with schizophrenia. After doing more and more research on it after recieving that diagnosis, everything basically clicked into place. Everything I was experiencing was "normal" (well, for a person with schizoaffective disorder). It all made sense. But I still struggle with the diagnosis itself. Hearing it from a psychiatrist made it all the more real. I'm really here to get involved in an anonymous support system since I'm currently not in therapy. Not that this is a replacement for therapy, trust me I know, but it will be nice to get other perspectives, advice, and encouragement from people who are going through the same thing. Because we all know how little the general population understands conditions like this, nor do most people actually give effort to do so. I'm really glad I came across this forum and I'm looking forward to sharing and hearing from you all as well.

Which leads me to this. I have a question that I would like y'all's opinions and personal experiences on.

Because of my extensive treatment history of misdiagnosis, overmedication, wrong medication, and misunderstanding among doctors, I have been on many medications.
For bipolar type schizoaffective disorder, the typical treatment consists of a combination of antipsychotics and mood stabilizers. I have been on zyprexa, seroquel, haloperidol, depakote, trileptal, and abilify.....as far as mood stabilizers/antipsychotics go. A zyprexa/prozac combination made me gain a shit ton of weight and it kept me stable, but stable at the depressed level. Seroquel made my head super foggy and I was forgetful and couldnt think straight. I had a severe dystonic reaction to haloperidol (anyone else? apparently it's common). Depakote along with Depakote/Zyprexa/prozac combo made me feel brain dead, like a zombie. Trileptal sent me into the first psychotic episode I ever had. Abilify/prozac combo seemed to work pretty well at first, but after a few weeks of treatment triggered a mania which caused me to stop taking my medication completely cold turkey for about 6 months. Only now am I going to a psychiatrist and getting back on meds. My medication appointment is in 3 weeks, and I want to know, what medication combinations worked the best for you guys personally? How differently do they make you feel, how do you overcome the foggy-headedness, and which combinations didnt work?
I want this to be the last time I get put on meds, I want them to be effective, and I want them to actually help. Because it seems like every med change or even doasge change messes me up a little bit more.
Thank you guys in advance for your feedback and I look forward to getting to know all of you!

Alice

Tawny

Tawny

Forum Guide
:welcome: Alice
I'm sure you know that I'm going to say that we are all different and that you should let your psychiatrist choose your medication.

my advice is to be on as low a dose as possible
one medication only if possible
Least sedating and weight gaining
least side effects

M

MouthyOne

Welcome to the forums Alice.

What a first post! How did you get your diagnosis?

Onto your question. In my case no medication is maybe best. One medication which worked for me was Venlafaxine or Effexor in the US.

It was described as a dual-action medication which I believe helps the brain provide higher levels of serotonin and melatonin in the brain.

A

AliceIsInWonderlandAgain

:welcome: Alice
I'm sure you know that I'm going to say that we are all different and that you should let your psychiatrist choose your medication.

my advice is to be on as low a dose as possible
one medication only if possible
Least sedating and weight gaining
least side effects
[/QUOTI dont like taking meds anyway so I hope they put me on a very low dose of as little medication as possible.
Welcome to the forums Alice.

What a first post! How did you get your diagnosis?

Onto your question. In my case no medication is maybe best. One medication which worked for me was Venlafaxine or Effexor in the US.

It was described as a dual-action medication which I believe helps the brain provide higher levels of serotonin and melatonin in the brain.
Hello MouthyOne :)
I recieved my diagnosis after straight-up telling the psychiatrist that I needed a thorough reevaluation. I have been diagnosed with pretty much every condition under the sun, and I figured, "c'mon now, I'm not THAT broken in the head, am I? This doesnt make sense." She did just that and took about an hour and a half of extensive questions and specific questions. I have been diagnosed with major depressive disorder twice and Bipolar disorder 1 three times. One of the bipolar diagnoses was bipolar disorder 1 severe with psychotic features. Basically I have been off of medication for about 6 motnhs, and it's becoming more apparent than ever that I need to be on them. My rapid cycling mood swings are practically out of control, and I feel as though I am on auto-pilot. Every time I feel relatively stable and happy, I pray, and i mean PRAY that it could just stay that way. But it doesnt, and my coping skills, natural techniques, meditation, etc just isnt being effective anymore. I hate feeling out of control of my own head, so I'm wanting to do something about it. My illness is causing a lot of strain in my life, especially in my relationships and I don't want to hurt anyone else or burn anymore bridges than I have already in my lifetime. This time I'm proactively taking steps to get better because I truly want to, not just because I'm being forced to (hospitals, treatment centers, rehab, etc.).

M

MouthyOne

That's excellent you told your psychiatrist you wanted a thorough re-evaluation :)

I have watched videos and read that more uncommon mental health conditions can take a few years to get the correct diagnosis.

If I had to guess in which mental health category I would fit into without diagnosis it would be MDD/DID. At least that makes the most sense given my experience.

Getting specific information about your actual issue to work on improving your mental health I imagine would give you a clearer path to wellness.

I read your post and felt you were happy and determined to better yourself. That's great! :)