• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Nice things other people have done for you - appreciation thread

W

Worriedyin

Have you had any nice suprises that have made you smile or made your life easier?

Maybe someone held a door for you while you were carrying shopping or helped you carry luggage up some stairs at the train station?

Or maybe someone took the time to say hello to you at the bus stop, or give you a cheery smile and a wave as you passed by?

Today a driver stopped and flashed his lights so I could cross the other half of the road during the rush hour traffic on the way home, it was enough to inspire this thread!

Also should give an honourable mention to the supermarket in town where a shop assistant stopped me going to the till with yellow sticker food until he'd marked it down even cheaper, what a guy.

(This was weeks ago and it still cheers me up, not sure what that says about my comically hollow life! Haha.)

Should also give props to my other half for leaving me a surprise portion of dinner in my fridge last week.

Anyway, thought I'd see if anyone else wanted to share - sometimes feeling grateful for a tiny act of kindness makes all the difference!

LORD BURT

LORD BURT

Taking a break
In an indirect way, I received a good moment of gratitude. A few weeks ago, I was leaving the tube station and there was a homeless man sitting outside. He asked me for money. I talked to him, and gave him 10 pounds. He was so grateful. It made me feel good to see that natural moment.

W

Worriedyin

In an indirect way, I received a good moment of gratitude. A few weeks ago, I was leaving the tube station and there was a homeless man sitting outside. He asked me for money. I talked to him, and gave him 10 pounds. He was so grateful. It made me feel good to see that natural moment.
Burt that's really kind.

Especially in the depths of winter.

I am a bit of a pious prick sometimes and offer to buy food and drinks instead of giving cash, only give coins generally. Will take a leaf out of your book some day soon, I think.

W

Worriedyin

My upstairs neighbour rang to offer me some lasagne - when she found out I don't eat red meat, she said she'd do a veggie version and wouldn't let me refuse! What a darling. She could probably smell the burnt toast from my flat, lol.

W

WutheringHeights

A while ago I was having a bad day and I was coming home on a bus when this young woman came and sat next to me holding her little girl who was maybe 3 years old. I smiled at her baby and she opened her little arms wide to hug me and for the next 5 minutes until I got off she kept hugging and kissing me over and over again, I was almost in tears. When I got off the bus I looked up and she was waving me goodbye, it was so sweet. I never forgot that encounter.