• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

NHS workers

M

ms1985

Hi,

I work for the NHS but in a couple of years I would really like to train to be a speech therapist. I am currently hearing a man's voice in my head which is very quiet. It started a few months ago after mild psychosis and has remained ever since. I saw a post from a staff nurse who hears voices and obviously manages to do the job. I assume that voices dont stay forever. I really dont want this to prevent me from doing a career I think I will love.

Does anyone have any advice or personal stories to share around this matter?

Maeve

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Many people find that medication helps in stopping the voices.Are you on medication I wonder?
My voices and halucinations are controlled by the meds I'm on.I admire your ambition and would encourage you to try and acheive your goals.

M

ms1985

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I'm not on medication. I looked at the list of possible side effects and it put me right off! I know people can probably be alright on them.

There must be loads of people in top jobs who have mental health problems?

Do you have bad side effects?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm currently on 15mg olanzapine.That is a pretty heavy dose,but it works for me.
The main side effect for me has been weight gain.But I was underweight to start with so I can't complain too much.
Yes mental health problems do not necessarily spell the end of a career,although I'm not the best example of this as I'm currently unemployed.
I'd consider consulting your GP if I was you to see if there is any medication that might help to stop your voices.
Meds dont work for everyone,and some wont take them,but there is still a real chance that you may find one that works for you.