• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

NHS workers

M

ms1985

Hi,

I work for the NHS but in a couple of years I would really like to train to be a speech therapist. I am currently hearing a man's voice in my head which is very quiet. It started a few months ago after mild psychosis and has remained ever since. I saw a post from a staff nurse who hears voices and obviously manages to do the job. I assume that voices dont stay forever. I really dont want this to prevent me from doing a career I think I will love.

Does anyone have any advice or personal stories to share around this matter?

Maeve

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Many people find that medication helps in stopping the voices.Are you on medication I wonder?
My voices and halucinations are controlled by the meds I'm on.I admire your ambition and would encourage you to try and acheive your goals.

M

ms1985

Hi, thanks for your reply. No I'm not on medication. I looked at the list of possible side effects and it put me right off! I know people can probably be alright on them.

There must be loads of people in top jobs who have mental health problems?

Do you have bad side effects?

S

schizolanza

ACCOUNT CLOSED
I'm currently on 15mg olanzapine.That is a pretty heavy dose,but it works for me.
The main side effect for me has been weight gain.But I was underweight to start with so I can't complain too much.
Yes mental health problems do not necessarily spell the end of a career,although I'm not the best example of this as I'm currently unemployed.
I'd consider consulting your GP if I was you to see if there is any medication that might help to stop your voices.
Meds dont work for everyone,and some wont take them,but there is still a real chance that you may find one that works for you.