NHS England welcomes new ‘personalised’ mental health resource

F

firemonkee57

NHS England’s Clinical Director for Mental Health, Geraldine Strathdee has welcomed the launch of a new mental health resource which describes what personalised, coordinated care and support looks like.

Mental health services should consider “who I am, what’s important to me, how I wish to be supported and how people behave with me” – according to the new resource launched today by Think Local Act Personal (TLAP) and National Voices.

“No Assumptions – A Narrative for Personalised, Coordinated Care and Support in Mental Health” describes the critical outcomes and success factors in the care, support and treatment of people who use mental health services, from their perspective.

http://www.england.nhs.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/no-assumps-mh.pdf

NHS England » NHS England welcomes new

R

rosesinthehospital

Talk about giving people false hope. I wrote a letter a week ago asking for DBT after being told I could not have it. I referenced NICE guidelines etc. I am waiting for a response as was told to expect one by the end of this week. I don't for one second think I will get it. Because there appears to be a reluctance to believe that people with mental health problems can look at things objectively, or even half-way intelligently.

All the projects mentioned look amazing, but they are, in the main, tiny. There is not the funding to give everyone what they need. Hence why the only talking therapy offered to me was the Moodbuster stuff. Generic and in some cases absolute bollocks. This week's aim was to not fall out with anyone. Working on a million and one assumptions. Not least that we all fall out with people daily and all the fall outs are our fault.

Kerome

Kerome

In practice it probably means very little will change. With decentralised services things like this take a long time to roll out, and there will be limits on how much they can spend to make changes, and so on. But let's keep an eye out for a change in attitudes.

F

firemonkee57

How will this be achieved with NHS England committed to cutting tariffs for mental health by 20% more than other areas of the NHS?
The groups sound good but as someone said they are few and far between. Also how many are short term/time limited and thus not geared to those with enduring, non acute , severe mental health problems?
I can't see my situation changing because of this. I'll still be socially isolated, and my psychiatric treatment will still consist of fortnightly jabs and 6 monthly appointments with the nurse practitioner(whom i'm yet to see) or pdoc. I'll still be living independently (which is seen as important) but in a rather basic, low level way that has me described as having ' limited ability to live independently in the community' ( not seen as important).
I'll still be functioning poorly compared to most of my age related peers .

What would help at least with the social isolation, ie a drop in I can attend as and when
the need for company arises, is an ever increasing pipe dream. Drop ins and day centres are dirty words to the mental health movers and shakers in the NHS and the charities.
At the end of the day mental health services will do what the big bosses want irrespective of whether it meets service users' needs or not.