• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Next topic: Do schizophrenics misinterpret the people around them?

soul searching

soul searching

I've been wondering about this one lately. Do I sometimes hear things said that is not what was actually said? It seems very likely. That is really scary to think how much this could affect your perception of reality.

A

arty88

I am not 'schizophrenic' per say, but I could be. I could have any label, I just don't know it.

And as per the thread title - story of my life!

vangoghs

vangoghs

Do schizophrenics misinterpret different stimuli from the people around them? Do they hear the people around them saying things that they are actually not?
Sometimes. Generally, I can tell that the people in question did not say a particular thing. I know that they are just hallucinations most of the time. I understand that most people are not rude like the hallucinations and would not say what they do, most of the time.

F

Faceplant

In some cases, but in some cases I think the people around schizophrenics misinterpret them. It goes both ways sometimes.

T

Tvgirl

Sometimes. Generally, I can tell that the people in question did not say a particular thing. I know that they are just hallucinations most of the time. I understand that most people are not rude like the hallucinations and would not say what they do, most of the time.
For me it's pretty hard to tell the difference.

soul searching

soul searching

My voice is always interjecting reasons behind a person's words and sometimes a false visual flash of them somehow affirming this. Used to accept it, now I'm on high alert for it. It still manages to sneak some of this in, when I'm pre-occupied and before you know it I'm accepting it again. Have been able to catch these later. Hope I'm not missing some of these hurtful interjections.