• We have just changed our forum software and are still tweaking things. You can log in using your existing user name and password. If you spot any problems please let us know by posting in the Feedback and suggestions section of the forum.

Watch this short film to find out how to use the new forum!

Next step

erostom

erostom

So I'm here to hopefully get some advice about what my next step is, although I am not diagnosed with bipolar I'm certain that I do have it, my family has a long line of mental health issues and other things that attribute to my belief (sorry if assuming this upsets anybody, it is not meant to).

I've been to the doctor and as much as my depression and anxiety will let me I keep in contact with him but each time we have a session he explains that its due to life situation and that once that improves then we should see a change, whether it be the medication working or generally my mood beginning to improve.
This makes me feel like there is no hope and that nothing can be done, to the point I've tried to kill my self a few times recently sheerly due to lack of hope in what could/will be, the problem being that the times I am "up" enough to call or go and visit the doctor or do something constructively positive in my life I always tell myself to enjoy the good mood and have some fun, I know this is wrong but I do not know how to take myself away from that and be responsible.

Without going into detail I have had a bad upbringing and for certain that has something to do with my situation mentally and in life its self, I know that people will have been in my situation before and was hoping that anybody could give me an insight into what its like for your problem to seemingly be brushed aside due to the assumption of another person, and if anybody has not so much a solution but something that will help me deal with or cope enough to see this through.

I do not have family around that will support me, I feel this is due to me not accepting the help that was offered and acting like it was all fine, I do not have parents around to help me either, I am on my own in regards to my situation and hope that'll be taken into account if anyone has a comment about this.

M

megirl

:welcome:great you have joined us. You will get support you need here. Its an awesome place to be.
Because I can present myself so well and so good at fooling people that I'm ok when I wasn't this delayed my road to recovery.
Yes our upbringing certainly affects our mental health especially people who have a preposition for mental illness.
Mental illness bipolar,depression etc is also caused by an imbalance in our brains.
It does sound like you need to be referred to a psychiatrist and especially because you have attempted to kill yourself. Your level of destress is at crisis level so you really need professional help.
Keep posting we are here for you x

Chopsy

Chopsy

So I'm here to hopefully get some advice about what my next step is, although I am not diagnosed with bipolar I'm certain that I do have it, my family has a long line of mental health issues and other things that attribute to my belief (sorry if assuming this upsets anybody, it is not meant to).

I've been to the doctor and as much as my depression and anxiety will let me I keep in contact with him but each time we have a session he explains that its due to life situation and that once that improves then we should see a change, whether it be the medication working or generally my mood beginning to improve.
This makes me feel like there is no hope and that nothing can be done, to the point I've tried to kill my self a few times recently sheerly due to lack of hope in what could/will be, the problem being that the times I am "up" enough to call or go and visit the doctor or do something constructively positive in my life I always tell myself to enjoy the good mood and have some fun, I know this is wrong but I do not know how to take myself away from that and be responsible.

Without going into detail I have had a bad upbringing and for certain that has something to do with my situation mentally and in life its self, I know that people will have been in my situation before and was hoping that anybody could give me an insight into what its like for your problem to seemingly be brushed aside due to the assumption of another person, and if anybody has not so much a solution but something that will help me deal with or cope enough to see this through.

I do not have family around that will support me, I feel this is due to me not accepting the help that was offered and acting like it was all fine, I do not have parents around to help me either, I am on my own in regards to my situation and hope that'll be taken into account if anyone has a comment about this.
Hi Erostom, welcome to the M.H. Forum :welcome:

Could your next step be, 'getting an assessment done with a view to obtaining a diagnosis for your symptoms & experiences' thus far.

Using the N.H.S. is a free way of doing this.

Private practitioners may well offer a more expansive range of causes & treatments & perhaps also a differing view of a perceived diagnosis, but costs money.

erostom

erostom

Thanks a LOT Chopsy I wasn't sure about how or where I did this, or even if it had costs, but with a tiny bit of research I've found out how to do it, and I am hoping to build up the courage to go and get this done asap, I've been here for less than 3 hours and already getting somewhere :D

M

megirl

Hi erostom, how are you now,have you managed to make progress
Take care,
megirl x

erostom

erostom

Hey, thanks for checking in, just woke up and planning to make some calls today so we'll see how it goes but I'm feeling positive :) how are things with you?