• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

News ! Schizophrenia and Bi-polar - are genetically similar

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/8128005.stm

Interesting, since my mother has bi-polar and I have schizophrenia. We both have similar problems with feeling low at times. I've also been told that depressed people can hear voices, not just those will schizophrenia.

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Aye, that's the Independent news article - I haven't read that topic yet :oops:,

I see you've added the BBC news link on there as well :cool:.

I didn't get what the title of that topic meant by "Independent 2nd July" so maybe it's a good idea to keep this topic open as well because of the extra descriptive words in the title. People can use the link to the other thread you've posted here to keep the conversation flowing over there.

What do you think ?

M

maudikie

Maudikie.

Not everyone with schizophrenia hears voices. It is my opinion that some can see what we might call visions.II think this is why Art is so helpful as they can express themselves and their "visins£ by painting.:)

dib4uk

dib4uk

Ahhh I can see why its linked together.

With Bi-pola you can have psychosis? and hear voices etc when not rational because the individual maybe cycling too quickly.

Bluemoon- very interesting and thanks for the link.

Yeah I would also add that the reason why people with mental health problems like depression and other health problems like annorexia? hear voices is because it could be the inner voice batterling over the controling voice.

Does that make sense? Like if your annorexic and depressed- you hear yourself or others saying your fat, your disgusting and things like that.

Also of course non mental health people can hear voices from spiritual healers to psychic individuals...

Bluemoon

Bluemoon

Founding Member
Bluemoon- very interesting and thanks for the link.
Your welcome dib4.

Yeah I would also add that the reason why people with mental health problems like depression and other health problems like annorexia? hear voices is because it could be the inner voice batterling over the controling voice.

Does that make sense? Like if your annorexic and depressed- you hear yourself or others saying your fat, your disgusting and things like that.
It makes a lot of sense to me. My brother tells me that he thinks that I'm hearing my conscience.

Also of course non mental health people can hear voices from spiritual healers to psychic individuals...
My brother also hears voices on occasions when under a lot of stress but they don't really bother him as he swears at them in his mind and they go away. Like you said, spiritual individuals especially clairaudients hear voices and none that I've heard of are on medication or diagnosed with a mental health problem.