News is triggering me

G

GaryC123

I can't bear to read the news right now. Some people are talking about a possible nuclear arms race and it's terrifying to me. It's frightening and it makes me unbelievably angry toward the people who are responsible. Right now I want to do horrible things to people like John Bolton and Vladimir Putin for wrecking what little safety from world destruction which we may have once felt but which their careless arrogance and stupidity now threatens. I'm having a lot of difficulty controlling my anger right now.

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

they're not the only one's responsible, personally, I think a nuclear war won't happen because the concept is far to terrifying, & it would've already happened by now, if it was ever going to happen.

G

GaryC123

they're not the only one's responsible, personally, I think a nuclear war won't happen because the concept is far to terrifying, & it would've already happened by now, if it was ever going to happen.
There have been close calls in the past with false alarms and things like that. We've actually been lucky according to some accounts. Starting another arms race just heightens tensions and building more nukes just increases the statistical odds of an accident. Not good. Why can't nations just try to get along???

Cpt_Stunning

Cpt_Stunning

They get along a lot better nowadays, but the saying is that history always repeats itself, World War I was supposed to be the war to end all wars, and a bigger one happened 20 years later.

It's a bit different nowadays because a world war would be settled with nuclear bombs, whereas before nothing like that existed.

I may be wrong, but the US & Russia haven't really increased their nuclear capability, just renew it, lie Britain does with Trident. It does seem a bit ridiculous to spend all that money on so-called 'defensive' weapons, when they'll probably never get used, I think you're right about Vladimir Putin, he seems a bit trigger happy, but looking at a documentary recently, he knows he could never defeat NATO. Not sure who John Bolton is.

N

natalie

Hi GaryC123,

Could I make a suggestion in this instance? Try listening to music and on a full time so to speak basis, and you'll find you'll become a less of a worriier when it comes regarding the Newses.

I know that for me, with all of the hype, I worried too much over Brexit, in recent months, overall though, from 2005, after when I became unwell, and recovering via mental health, I just listen to music and musicals full time daily - this kind of off own back, to use a term self help, works wonders for me, plus also, keeps me much calmer for when out and about travelling to and from volunteering, and or out on shopping errands.

Also do try to workout or play a sport if you are able to; this will also help on the news anxiety levels front, to help the worrying decrease. Just a tips, well a couple of t ips.

Best wishes.

daffy

daffy

Founding Member
Hi Gary I can understand why your concerned but these fears have been around since the 60s when there was the Cuban missile crisis. With Castro and the Russians colluding to amass missiles. We were even taught in primary school how to react if the siren went off. We had to get underneath our desks and pull our jumpers over our heads. Yes that is true don’t think it would have done much good tho. Then in the 80 s it all started again with Russia and America in battle with each other. Like yourself I became so ill with worry that I was told by my p/doc not to buy any newspapers or watch the news. I even had a plan that I would take my kids outside so it would be over for us in seconds . Foolishly I’d watched all the government advice and wa sterrified. the advice at that time. was either to go to a basement or hide under the stairs. I still don’t read newspapers. Now we have the idiot Trump spouting forth and causing the world to worry. It won’t happen cos no one can win. It will all die down then resurface in another 20 years.

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi Gary,

That’s exactly what politicians and their corporate media wants. They live and prosper off of our fear. They always are looking for that indestructible enemy that want to kill all and off course a the government is our hero that’s going to come to our rescue but there’s a price. This hero doesn’t do things for free or for the sake of ( put whatever word). The price is taxpayers’ money and our youths the only exception is that doesn’t include their sons and daughters.

We can’t we just live like other stable countries? There are countries that you never hear mentioned in the news because those countries are keeping to themselves and not putting their nose in anyone’s business.

Bizzarebitrary

Bizzarebitrary

@GaryC123 I'm sorry you're at wits end with this latest flare up in an on-going, 24x7 news cycle.

I'm struggling with symptoms and while I do, I place an austere news filter on my technologies. This includes little to no interaction with social media where world and national news is present, no television news and I finally, I limit reading news to only 4 sources who never employ triggering pr outrageous headlines to capture my psyche.

You don't need to be so sever but I do. I can't abide the "outrage machines" from either political pole that generate biased and inflammatory headlines in order to "engage" us.

Being informed on what's going on is among my core values. Yet my mental health takes precedence at times when I'm struggling. Consider taking measures to protect yourself from the attention-grabbers, your wellbeing is too important to be compromised by alarmist rhetoric.

When it's actually time for us to pick up torches, pitchforks and take to the streets in protest or find the air raid shelter, I promise you won't be the last to know.

M

Mary26

Hi Gary. I think (all) the news is triggering everyone or at least most people. I pretty much stopped reading/watching it because you still hear what's going on without even trying. I don't know what your religious/spiritual beliefs are but can you trust in a higher power to keep you safe?

G

GaryC123

Hi Gary. I think (all) the news is triggering everyone or at least most people. I pretty much stopped reading/watching it because you still hear what's going on without even trying. I don't know what your religious/spiritual beliefs are but can you trust in a higher power to keep you safe?
I don't know if I believe in a higher power or not. When I think of a higher power, I usually think of the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God who is maybe most notable to me for punishing people for sins and things like that. If there is a higher power, I tend to think that higher power would be disapproving of me and maybe apt to punish me for or all my moral failings and such.

M

Mary26

I don't know if I believe in a higher power or not. When I think of a higher power, I usually think of the Judeo/Christian/Islamic God who is maybe most notable to me for punishing people for sins and things like that. If there is a higher power, I tend to think that higher power would be disapproving of me and maybe apt to punish me for or all my moral failings and such.
Okay, well of course if you associate God with punishment that won't work for you. Then maybe tune out (of current events) for a while.

M

megirl

I got very obsessed with the south Korea issues where things got so bad between them and the US there was talk of world war 3. I couldn't stay off the internet it was consuming me.
But anyway things did settle down thank god. Now I dont give into temptation. I barely watch the news and dont get the newspaper. I know if there's something really important going on I will eventually hear about it via friends or someone else I may know or happen to talk too.
I hope this helps
Take care

C

Clark75

Remember, there is often multiple ways to look at something. Nuclear weapons are terrible, but perhaps due to their unimaginable destruction, they have helped prevent a war with Russia, Korea, etc now and over the past several decades. War used to be common, now it's not winnable.

M

megirl

Thank you for the insight. I dont much about these things.
You are absolutely right.
Forget that war used be actually be common. Makes me feel a lot better:)