• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

News about Tigger

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

We've had quite a drama over the past month with Tigger. She is not out of the woods yet though, the vet is seeing her in a weeks time to check how she is doing.

This all started when she got into a scrap with a black cat in the neighbourhood, he came into her garden when she was having a explores on her own territory. He made quite a noise and went for her, she turned and ran but got bit really bad in her leg/knee.

I took her to the vet for vet trip number 1 and got her patched up, she came home same day with some medication to prevent infection and to take pain away.

I kept her on the medication but after a week she wasn't getting better and I was very worried, her leg still seemed to be hurting her, so back to the vet for vet trip number 2. Vet said to keep her on the medication and said it's a soft tissue injury, which would be right cause it was a bite from the black cat. Vet at that point said if it doesn't recover after another week to take her back in, so after a week of her still having trouble with the leg, I took her back in for vet trip number 3.

Vet trip number 3: they said they would xray to be sure there was no breaks or anything like that, one thing that they said is very concerning was the knee in the injured leg was crunching every time she jumped around. They said they could operate to fix the knee so it stays in the position it's supposed to be in, her kneecap was dislocationing itself (luxationing patella or something, the vet said its called), so she stayed in at the vet for 2 nights so they could do the surgery and make sure she was okay before sending her home.

There was a big problem though: just after the surgery, she decided to refuse to eat anything, nobody could coax her to eat for almost 2 days, vets tried I tried nurse staff tried, she didnt even want treats she would refuse the whole lot.

But despite the concerns, the vet decided best thing to do was to send her home, thinking that being at home would encourage her to eat something. She went for 24 hours at the vets refusing point blank to eat (which is a dangerous thing for a cat), another 24 hours at home and she was still refusing to eat but into day 3 of her not eating she decided to try a tiny amount of food (not much though)

She started eating really tiny amounts of food, but for some reason then completely refused food for one of the days (she was on medication as well which can only be given when she eats some food) and we had a real battle on our hands to coax her to get food inside her after that day. Her appetite gradually started to pick up again and the vet said we had to crate her (which she completely freaked out at and I truly feared she would reopen the injuries in her leg) so I had to start keeping her in the bathroom (with the vet's okay), vet orders are is she is not to jump at all until he sees her in a week's time

She's had ups and downs and I have had to phone the vet back for advice, the day she decided to refuse food again. Vet's instruction was to keep encouraging her to eat and she also has to rest a lot, she has started walking around a bit now but is choosing not to weight bear properly on that leg, which is good for now cause she has to rest it, the vet wasnt going to negotiate with her about that, considering she's had to have her knee fixed in place to stop it from moving in a direction its not supposed to go into.

She's on pain meds still and chances are she won't come off of them any time soon, she will have to learn to walk on the leg again after the vet gives the okay and will need physical therapy to help her use the leg again.

The vet has also said her other back leg is at risk, in cats what she had happen is rare so we dont know what caused it for sure. The trigger for the trauma was the cat bite, which the vet was surprised about.

Last night, she was very restless and fretful and did not settle until nearly 2am, i dont know what was happening that was preventing her from settling, i ended up having to put some of my clothes that smell strongly of me next to the bed and settle her down next to my bed, just to get her to settle and rest.

Today's update is she has attempted to get up the stairs but only managed 2 steps before getting stuck and had to get rescued by her meowmy (me), she isnt to use the stairs yet, not until the vet sees her. I carry her up when she wants to spend the night in the bedroom with her meowmy. She also asked to go outside but she can't go outside until the vet gives the okay (she is having to wear the cone of shame to stop her chewing the stitches she has)

Even now, I am still honestly fearing she will lose that leg, particularly if she reopens the injuries and the surgical thing she had done. If she loses that leg I am honestly fearing for her future, particularly considering her other leg is at risk as well according to the vet. How will she get around with only her front legs? If the worst happens I would have a impossible choice to make and I am honestly scared :(

bpd2020

bpd2020

Midnight, my heart goes out to you. I am so sorry for all you and Tigger are going through. It must have been truly awful for you going through all this. I really really hope Tigger's leg heals.

ipanema

ipanema

So sad to hear about what happened to Tiger, I know it’s also a lot for a meowmy to deal with!
Maybe she refuses to eat because she gets frustrated, she does not understand what is happening with her, and maybe the meds mess up with her stomach too! Try asking the vet if you can give her a pill to calm her stomach.
I know you worry about the injury reopening, but that seems unlikely. Just keep a watch on her, give her all the cuddles and keep her comfortable.

You are doing the best you can and Tiger will be ok thanks to you!!

Hoping for a quick recovery ❤

Mayflower7

Mayflower7

Hope Tigger heals soon, what an ordeal she's been thru.

Z

Zoe1

Tigger has the best Meowmy
which is why she does loud rumbly purrs !

:hug5:

Taffy

Taffy

I'm sorry I hope she will be ok. I can tell you love her very much.😊

Lunar Lady

Lunar Lady

Forum Guide
Hey, Midnight :hug:

So sorry to hear what you and Tigger have been through.

Tigger should be fine. Be a strict mum and make sure the cone to protect her stitches doesn't get abandoned too early and NO outdoors for Madam Tigger...no matter how much fuss she makes. She needs rest and no opportunities to open her stitches - I'm sure she'll heal quickly and be fine.

I'm sending both of you lots of love. Please try not to worry xxx

Hillman hunter

Hillman hunter

Hello midnight,
im so sorry, that is so much for you and beautiful Tigger to go through,
lots of love from me .

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Last night she was very unsettled as well, i had to make her a "cave" in meowmy's bed with the duvet but she only settled there for a bit before deciding she needed to get up, then she wouldn't settle again after she'd been to the tray, idk if the pain meds have stopped working, will be phoning the vet on monday for advice if she still unsettled tonight. Tonight will make it 3 nights in a row that she hasnt wanted to settle.

S

sadgirl

Oh midnightphoenix I am sorry to hear about tigers terrible journey Iam keeping my fingers crossed for you and tigger that she feels better soon

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

idk if i need to turn it round so its not covering her throat :scratcheshead:

need to think ............

Willow's on my lap now, i'll try when Willow decides time to get up :love:

Willow's the Queen of the Universe and she knows it :respect::salut:

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Carol1952 Anxiety Forum 3
P Anxiety Forum 2