• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

newly diagnosed and treated- question

kate9090

kate9090

Hi everyone,
I'm 22 years old and have been bipolar for about 7 years. 2 weeks ago i went to a doctor for the first time and have been diagnosed and put on "Cipralex".
I started taking it 2 weeks ago, in the midst of a pretty bad depression and I've been feeling extremely weird- I'm not coming out of the depression yet I'm not getting a new "high" and I'm finding this pretty difficult and confusing to cope with.

I was wondering if anyone has any input or advice to give me?

B

BP2

Hi, There are many experts who will say that Anti-Depressants cause nothing but side effects in the first two weeks of treatment.

In my own experience weeks 3 and 4 start to reveal whether the medication is suiting you and even then the signs of improvement can be slow to reveal themselves.

So it is probably a bit too soon just now to be expecting any significant improvement in your symptoms etc.

I assume you are going back for a review with your GP in a week or twos time?

Good luck

A

AussieGirl

It will take a few weeks, I also take citalopram (generic version) of what you are taking and it took a while to sink in and a lot of fiddling with the adjustments

kate9090

kate9090

thanks

ill be seeing her in 2 weeks (a month from the first meeting).
hopefully I'll feel a bit more stable by then!

Thanks for the advice :)