P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi, I'm very new to this as never joined a forum before. I hoping to talk to anyone who can relate to my current state of mind. So probably best I tell you what's going on with me.
10 years ago my life went a bit south (job issues, complicated relationship, loneliness....blah blah blah) and I ended up on anti depressants. 10 years later, I decided that I didn't want to be controlled by pills anymore, and as I had dealt with all my issues from the past, I felt it was time to stop the meds. (I didn't consult a GP, cos our surgery is awful). I did this over a 5 week period and had/have the support of my husband (who didn't know me before the pills) my mum and my friend at work, who I call my 'go to girl'. I have now been 'clean' for 12 days, but I'm experiencing alot of different emotions to normal situations and I don't like it. This week alone I have been super quiet, manic/hyper, angry/frustrated and tearful :( has anyone else experienced this? Is this normal withdrawals? Will it ever end? Pixie75 from the UK

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Hi Pixie and welcome :welcome:

We are happy to have you here :grouphug:

It could be withdrawals, best one to talk to is the doctor see if theres anything that will help with the withdrawals :hug:

Urban Hermit

Urban Hermit

:welcome: to the forum , yes like Midnight said after 10 years it could be withdrawal symptoms , depends on maybe the type and dosage, I would suggest talking to your GP too x

Have you had an therapy to help with some of the sources of issues?

UH x

calypso

calypso

Admin
I agree, this sounds like withdrawal and it should settle down over time. I would strongly suggest you see another doctor - try to find one you like - and ask them about it. These meds are very strong and after 10 years, you are also experiencing emotional roller coaster again which is a shock to your system.

How is your sleep? If that is badly affected then you do need to see a doc and see if you need a minor med for a short course only, to help you over that hurdle. I must admit I think you have been very brave and strong. Keep us posted on how you are going.

Warrior

Warrior

:welcome: @Pixie75 nice to have you with us :hug:

Like other members have said it's down to how much you was taking and how long it really needed to come off them but always remember this..people can have underlining issues like yourself and once on the right drug can actually stabilize your mind and make your life when you can control issues better, as the saying goes better the devil you know and the drug could have been helping you.

Never come off meds first time around on your own even with support, you need years of doing it with help like myself to know what your doing and to quit a drug :hug:

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would’ve done it much slower since it’s been 10 years on these pills. It’s not easy for the brain to have a sudden interruption to what it’s used to.
I hope you feel better soon.

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum , yes like Midnight said after 10 years it could be withdrawal symptoms , depends on maybe the type and dosage, I would suggest talking to your GP too x

UH x
I agree, this sounds like withdrawal and it should settle down over time. I would strongly suggest you see another doctor - try to find one you like - and ask them about it. These meds are very strong and after 10 years, you are also experiencing emotional roller coaster again which is a shock to your system.

How is your sleep? If that is badly affected then you do need to see a doc and see if you need a minor med for a short course only, to help you over that hurdle. I must admit I think you have been very brave and strong. Keep us posted on how you are going.
Thanks calypso. I didn't seek help from a GP because the last one I saw (who I'd never met before) made it very clear that she wasn't happy about me being on meds. On the occasions I have been you never get to see the same GP, which is frustrating, so you don't get the chance to build that doctor patient rapport. This us why I am determined to do this on my own. As far as I'm concerned, there's no turning back now. Just wanted to talk to someone who has, or is, coming off of anti depressants. Unfortunately, there hasnt been anyone yet.

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi and welcome to the forum.

I would’ve done it much slower since it’s been 10 years on these pills. It’s not easy for the brain to have a sudden interruption to what it’s used to.
I hope you feel better soon.
I would have if I had more pills to play with, but I didn't. I wasnt on a high dose, and did a thorough search on the Internet before weaning myself off.

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED

UH x
Hi UH, thankfully I didn't need therapy for my issues, I just wrote them all down and tackled them one by one. It took me 3 years, but I got there. Im now happily married with 2 teenage step children (17 & 19) and a gorgeous little cavachon called Ted :)

calypso

calypso

Admin
There are people on here who have taken themselves off meds - mostly cold turkey! I am pleased you have managed it. I am sorry that no-one who has done this has come off yet to talk to. Keep talking, find where you fit in in the forum and see if you can find someone. What is a cavachon?

vanish

vanish

Forum Safety Team
Welcome to MHF @Pixie75 I myself am a long term antidepressant user and I actually fear coming off them, so kudos to you for being brave enough to try. What you are experiencing sounds like withdrawal, hopefully it will lessen in time.
Ted sounds lovely... is a cavachon a cavalier bichon mix?

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
There are people on here who have taken themselves off meds - mostly cold turkey! I am pleased you have managed it. I am sorry that no-one who has done this has come off yet to talk to. Keep talking, find where you fit in in the forum and see if you can find someone. What is a cavachon?
Hi Calypso, a Cavachon is a cross between a King Charles Cavalier and a Bichon. He is absolutely adorable but very cheeky, he's definitely a daddy's boy and follows my husband round like a shadow. he gets stepped on quite a bit....poor little chap. I've posted a picture of him :)

Attachments

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Welcome to MHF @Pixie75 I myself am a long term antidepressant user and I actually fear coming off them, so kudos to you for being brave enough to try. What you are experiencing sounds like withdrawal, hopefully it will lessen in time.
Thanks 'Vanish' and yes Ted is a Cav x Bichon mix....with a bit of Ewok thown in....Lol I have posted a picture of him, so hopefully you will be able to see the cheeky chap.
I must admit I did not choose to come off of them lightly, but once I made the decision, that was it. I'm actually having a better day today, compared to the rest of this week. So maybe I have turned a corner (fingers firmly crossed). My biggest worry is that I didn't know my husband before I started taking them, and I'm worried he's not going to like the real me, as it's been a while. 10 years is a long feeling like a puppet ! but the strings are cut now, so just need to work out who I am again which will take some time :)

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi 'Vanish' you mentioned that you fear coming off of them ? what is it that you fear ?

I

Indi

Hi Pixie. I'm new to this forum, so a little nervous about what to write on here. But I have just read your message and I can totally relate to what you're going through. I'm glad I found a like minded person to chat with. 🤗
I had been on various powerful anti depressants for over 25 years. Many nasty dangerous ones, but for the past 4 years, I was on Sertraline 200mg and Pregablin 150mg.

I went on a one to one spiritual healing retreat in Ibiza for 10 days in May. The lady I was with is a trained homeopath. I came right off all my meds the first night I arrived as she said that prescription drugs are very toxic and are damaging my liver. I haven't taken them for 10 wks now. Perhaps it was a bit drastic, but I feel strong and brave for doing it. The withdrawals haven't been pleasant. I have been emotional and I do cry alot. But I don't see it as a bad thing. It's a natural emotion just like anger or frustration or even laughter. I am ratty in the mornings and do get anxious that my lovely boyfriend is going to get fed up with me. Yet, he was the one that suggested I have a nose on here and see if I can get some comfort and support. So just writing to you has helped me today, thank you.

I'm never going back on them as I feel like I've been a prescription junky for far too long. I was still anxious and sad when I was on them. My body took a battering too whilst on them. The lady in Ibiza gave me CBD oil and I have been taking it back her. It's not prescribed on the NHS. It's helping with my anxiety, but I am learning different ways to help heal myself from a life time of severe depression and anxiety. Mindfulness does help and walking my beautiful tiny little dogs in the morning helps alot.

Hope to hear from you soon

I think your very brave 😊

Hopeful313

Hopeful313

I would have if I had more pills to play with, but I didn't. I wasnt on a high dose, and did a thorough search on the Internet before weaning myself off.
I hope you are feeling better today.
Wishing you all the best.

P

Pixie75

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi Pixie. I'm new to this forum, so a little nervous about what to write on here. But I have just read your message and I can totally relate to what you're going through. I'm glad I found a like minded person to chat with. 🤗
I had been on various powerful anti depressants for over 25 years. Many nasty dangerous ones, but for the past 4 years, I was on Sertraline 200mg and Pregablin 150mg.

I went on a one to one spiritual healing retreat in Ibiza for 10 days in May. The lady I was with is a trained homeopath. I came right off all my meds the first night I arrived as she said that prescription drugs are very toxic and are damaging my liver. I haven't taken them for 10 wks now. Perhaps it was a bit drastic, but I feel strong and brave for doing it. The withdrawals haven't been pleasant. I have been emotional and I do cry alot. But I don't see it as a bad thing. It's a natural emotion just like anger or frustration or even laughter. I am ratty in the mornings and do get anxious that my lovely boyfriend is going to get fed up with me. Yet, he was the one that suggested I have a nose on here and see if I can get some comfort and support. So just writing to you has helped me today, thank you.

I'm never going back on them as I feel like I've been a prescription junky for far too long. I was still anxious and sad when I was on them. My body took a battering too whilst on them. The lady in Ibiza gave me CBD oil and I have been taking it back her. It's not prescribed on the NHS. It's helping with my anxiety, but I am learning different ways to help heal myself from a life time of severe depression and anxiety. Mindfulness does help and walking my beautiful tiny little dogs in the morning helps alot.

Hope to hear from you soon

I think your very brave 😊
Hi Indi, thank you for getting in touch, I was losing hope in finding someone I could relate too,so thank you ☺

What can I say apart from total respect for ditching your pills, and all at once too. The lady in Ibiza must have been a huge inspiration to you. And yes, you are very brave and should be totally proud of yourself. I too did not want to be controlled by pills for the rest of my life (I am 44yrs), I felt that 10 years was long enough, and as my life is so much different now to how it was back then, I felt it was time. My husband has been amazing and very supportive and constantly reassures me that he's going nowhere 😊 I hope your boyfriend has been equally supportive?

I have been 'clean' for 2 weeks now, and I am really pleased with that. I looked into some alternatives online and found 5-HTP and L-theanine, which I have been taking for the last week. Not sure if they are helping yet as it maybe too early. I looked at CBD oil too,which you said you are taking. Would you say it makes you feel calmer?

My emotions have been all over the place this last week, and I've had 2 mini meltdowns at work where I had to leave the office before anyone realised. Total nightmare! Thankfully I have a 'go to' colleague which helps. She has been keeping tabs on me. Im hoping that my constant change in emotions will peter out, and it's just my mind transitioning back to normal. Have your emotions improved in the last 10 weeks?

I realise these things take time, but I've never had alot of patience with myself!!

What dogs do you have? We have a Cavachon called Ted 😀

Thank you for contacting me today 😃 (Hugs)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Mary1985 Introduce Yourself 6
E Introduce Yourself 8
K Introduce Yourself 5
C Introduce Yourself 6
GlitterAndTwisted Introduce Yourself 11