• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

U

ultimatim

hi everyone,

my name is tim and i am 41 and married with 2 great sons 13 and 17.

i believe i may have aspergers syndrome having read some aspergers info recently.

have been treated for depression and paranoia previously.

have always felt "different" as if theres something missing and awkward in most social situations.

have looooooooow self esteem,feelings of inferiority and have basically no friends :(

i find it incredibly difficult to talk to anyone including my family so i thought i would try here to see if i could find some likeminded people?

thx tim.

rollinat

rollinat

Founding Member
:welcome: Tim, good to have you here.

Rollinat

D

Dollit

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum. Try not to get into the trap of self-diagnosis. Asperger's is notoriously difficult for professionals to diagnose and I think I'm not the only one who feels that there is something different about me and I am definitely a social inadequate - but I don't have Asperger's and even though it can be a reason it's not the only one. Be kind to yourself.

honeyquince

honeyquince

Founding Member
Hi Tim, welcome to the forum. I'm with Dollit on this one - have a word with your GP as a good starting place. The forum is here though to support you through this sort of thing so do use us and I'm sure you'll find us all a friendly sort!

U

ultimatim

thx

Hi Tim and welcome to the forum. Try not to get into the trap of self-diagnosis. Asperger's is notoriously difficult for professionals to diagnose and I think I'm not the only one who feels that there is something different about me and I am definitely a social inadequate - but I don't have Asperger's and even though it can be a reason it's not the only one. Be kind to yourself.
hi dollit,

thx for your response

what do you mean by the trap of self diagnosis?

i understand many people feel different for many different reasons

its just i seem to fit all the criteria:

cannot make eye contact,cannot end a conversation,lack empathy,fear change,cannot form friendships,ritualistic behavoir.

pls explain: even though it can be a reason its not the only one

D

Dollit

The trap of self diagnosis is that it is easy to see a set of symptoms and fit them to an illness or a syndrome when that isn't necessarily what is wrong. Just because you appear to fulfill the criteria doesn't mean to say you have the illness.

And that explains what I meant about although Aspergers could be a reason for your symptoms there could also be many other reasons.

An experienced psychiatrist is the person to diagnose Aspergers or Autism not ourselves - we don't have the right amount of detachment to do that.

4evalost

4evalost

Hi Tim :welcome: to MHF hope you like it here :)

Last edited:
Believe-59

Believe-59

Welcome from yet another newbie. I am here to learn how to support someone and give him the care and help he needs. Hoping I can get him to join himself but who knows. Hope you find what you need this seems to be the right place.

karen

companion

companion

Founding Member
Hi Tim and :welcome:

You are in the right place to be able talk to likeminded people.

In the short time I have been registered, I have found that most people on here tend to know a lot more about mental health than the trained professionals. However, I would like to add that if you feel that you have a mental illness then you could speak to your GP about it. I say this because you may find that the GP can signpost you to a local support group where you could meet likeminded people.

That said, here is a great and supportive place to be. It would just be an idea to discuss your mental health with someone face to face so that you can remove the "what if" and begin to challenge how you feel.

I hope you are feeling less nervous about joining. Will be good to see you around soon

Take Care

Companion :)

D

DNA

Hi tim,
I'm also new to the forum. I'm here to understand so I can then support my brother. I just wanted to say hi because my son is diagnosed Aspergic.
Dollit is right Asperger's syndrome is notoriously difficult to diagnose. I think sometimes it feels necessary to at least exclude a condition, so I too would suggest to speak to your GP. I think (not 100% sure)for an adult the best place to be assessed is the 'Lorna wing' in kent. the NAS website (national autistic society) would have their details.