40rose

Hi.

I am new to all this but hoping to get some guidance. I have recently had a career change at 40 and fear that colleagues are talking about me. My confidence is low. I know i can do my job. I work with a few younger than me who do infuriate me as they act about too much. How can I stop worrying or over thinking things. Even in everyday life I worry, I never used to but its getting worse and if i am honest i dont have anything to worry about

calypso

calypso

Admin
:welcome: to the forum. Anxiety will make people worry even if they can't put their finger on why. I think we sometimes look for big reasons why we are anxious, you know, a death or an accident and so on. Its common though that lots of little things can build up in us and we think each one of those is too small to cause trouble, but cummulatively they can cause a lot of worry.

You might like to ask a GP for some simple counselling to get a handle on things, just an idea. I wouldn't let them put you on pills, unless you really want to, they tend to jump to that too readily.

When I was promoted, long time ago, from staff nurse to senior sister, I found people mucking around, or people looking at me, stressful. But eventually, I realised that it was my anxiety about my work. You might know what you are doing, but do you feel you have to prove yourself to new people and find that worrying? I did learn, slowly, that if I approached the younger ones mucking about in a smiling and kind way, they realised and did change their behaviour. I would suspect that if you have noticed it, your superiors probably have too.

I'm not sure your age is relevant - but you do mention it, so is this an issue for you too? Keep talking, and nothing is "too little" for us to support a person about. Quite often people on here understate their concerns, but we are here for everyone. All the staff are volunteers and have mental health conditions too, so you are among friends.

40rose

Thank you. My age isn't a problem other than maturity. When I mentioned it to senior member of staff I was told it was my fault because I haven't worked in a team before!!!I have although for 17yrs while kids were young I worked alone. I often feel like Leaving. It's a new build I work in so a few teething problems too

40rose

I have also lost both parents recently. Dad 4yrs mother 2yrs. So I am at a loss for someone to talk to.

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
Welcome to the forum. I know how you feel as I battle with anxiety on a daily basis and, if there is nothing to worry about, I will find something :unsure:

I also lost both of my parents, dad just over 3 years ago and mum coming up to 2 years.

I'm sure that you will get lots of support here and I hope it helps to know that others understand how you feel.

TT