• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

Newbie :)

R

Redbutton240

Hi everyone

My name is Charley, I’m 26 years old and I live in the lovely county of Buckinghamshire 

I have been experiencing depression on and off since the age of 13. I have had several attempts at therapy and medication which I haven’t stuck to for reasons such as shame, guilt and for several years, simply having a death wish.

My depression seems to stem from a lot of sources, mainly my family. A few months ago, I was in a very bad place and I went to the doctor who put me on 20mg of Prozac a day. I felt awful from about day 2. I could barely move, had no energy to do anything and suffered from very intense nightmares.

I decided to just stop taking the pills which I now realise was a mistake but I am afraid to go back on medication like that again as I am afraid of not being able to function and worried that my family and friends will notice.

I can’t maintain any kind of romantic relationship because of how I feel and I find it hard to speak to people about it. I’m sure a lot of people here can relate when I say that I’m worried people will turn around and ask what have I got to be so depressed about.

I’ve joined this site to find people who can relate and I can talk to when things are up and down 

S

soscrewedup

Hi Charley,
Sorry to hear your having a hard time at the mo. i'm the same really, im 24 from london. took myself off my meds around christmas time and now feel i need to go back on them but cant face going to a gp as i have recently changed surgeries.
People have no idea what goes on in someones head or what their life is like, and everyone copes differently, depression has such a bad stigma which is unfair. i've recently trained as a nurse, have been educated on depression and treatments yet when my doctor put me on meds i flipped out thinking of the stigma.i hope you get the help you need, remember that all meds are different and have different side effects do discuss these with ur gp if u feel up to it. take care, chelle x

G

gothicminx

Hi, I'm a newbie too and understand what you're going through. I tried a multitude of meds, all of which gave me terrible panic attacks so I am now too afraid to try them again.

If your close friends really are good friends then they may surprise you by caring more about your current feelings rather than focussing on the 'cause'.

C

coraline1664

Hi Charley,

Yes Buckinghamshire is lovely, a very nice place to live! I have a couple of relatives there.

I hope you get something out of this forum, people here are very friendly :)

B

Blondie

Welcome,you have the same name as my dog:LOL:!Although she is a girl and spelt Charlie.I hope you get some help on here love.