• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

newbe

P

peverill4

Hi everyone. I am a physio TI working in a mental health trust helping people to keep/get fit. as a non 'qualified ' I now have to take some exams to keep my job, although I am a bit long in the tooth for that but it's some government directive. I came across this site my accident and thought one of you may be able to help me with some of my questions regarding 'the service user' any volunteers?

iffybob

iffybob

Boo

Hi, I always like people who want to learn.......

Are you looking for MH user or Prof help..... it may help others help you....

(Ps I am a MH user)

Scared with BPD

Scared with BPD

Please don't panic ....

If you don't mind I can talk to you from both sides of the fence.

I have Borderline Personality Disorder but after I was sacked from yet another job the local temp agency offered me a position working in the Trust Headquarters of the same hospital I had been a patient at. I just kept my mouth shut and as things turned out, the Chief Exec, stole me from the Medical Director to be her PA.

Of course, I folded and couldn't carry out the job after a few months (part of my boring repeat destructive behaviour). Anyway, after months I got back in touch and did a three week stint as Business Manager. Only reason I left is that I was offered a permanent job locally (needless to say I was sacked from that too).

So, after being a prominent figure in the hospital, I am now having to go back there as a patient.

Bloody terrified that I will bump into some old colleagues along the way.

Back to you, as a Physio in a Mental Health Trust, you really should not be obliged to understand all mental health conditons. As I am sure you am, you just need to be understanding and I am sure you assess most of your clients before you even get them through into the Physio Training room.

Just sounds like another bloody load of red tape that has been introduced.

Keep on doing what you are doing and helping so many people - leave the politics to the Board; unless of course they affect you so adversely and in which case all band together and show them how defunct the place would be without you - who would they have to manage then?

Take care
Claire

P

peverill4

Thanks for the replys it's really user help I need as so many of the questions put to me are how the user thinks or feels or their lives outside hospital. Well how am I supposed to know that, as I work in a forensic setting most of my patients have been through the criminal justice system and don't really want to discuss their previous life.
thanks to scared with bpd for your support, unfortunately these exams are mandatory and yes what a waste of time when I could be working in the gym with my patients instead of sat behind a computer.
so here goes with the first question: explain how aspects od individuals lives effect menatal health, wellbeing and mental health problems such as devorce, childbirth, leaving home, physical illness etc.

:cry:

iffybob

iffybob

Idiots

first question: explain how aspects od individuals lives effect menatal health, wellbeing and mental health problems such as devorce, childbirth, leaving home, physical illness etc.
Your right they should let you do your job, while I agree anyone who works with MH should have "awareness" in "how" to deal with us, what you have been asked is not in your sphere of work.

I could write about 4 sides of A4 on this and still miss stuff....but.....

This may help....

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7026

Start at post #9 - from "This week I have been ill" about 2/3rds down post. and read on.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Introduce Yourself 5