• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New Treatment for Depression

K

Keesha

Maybe cause it’s a brain implant :panic:

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

Totally disagree. Decades of trying to fix depression with pills has got us pretty much no where. The evidence has been stacking up for a while that it could be necessary to influence specific areas of the brain, not just flood the whole with drugs. If anyone can recall the very first hearing aids, or think about the first cell phones, they were huge, but now they're tiny. If this new approach works, that too will become all together smaller and neater. Bloody wonderful news. Woe to the psychopharmacologists!

MeAndMyDepression

MeAndMyDepression

It's too experimental. Just one person had it done? I don't want anyone drilling holes in my skull. I'd rather have severe depression. I guess I got my wish.

P

Pollypop

We have non pill treatment with ECT and TMS.
Maybe in years to come this new one will be added but
I definitely won’t be testing it out!!

Karmaman

Karmaman

I saw something on TV about this. It followed a woman who had struggled with depression her whole life and decided to have the operation. It actually showed the operation while she was still awake. Not pleasant,
Initially it seemed to work but from what I remember it only helped slightly and after some time not at all.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

This is the quote from the BBC report;

"When the implant was first turned on, my life took an immediate upward turn. My life was pleasant again.
"Within a few weeks, the suicidal thoughts disappeared.
"When I was in the depths of depression all I saw is what was ugly."
A year on, Sarah remains well, with no side-effects.
"The device has kept my depression at bay, allowing me to return to my best self and rebuild a life worth living."

Absolutely true that this is just one person, but obviously there will be more soon and increasing experience/understanding. And that's another thing; the scientists have a theory, now with evidence, about how and why this works.

Now, SSRI "anti-depressants" have been around for decades, but in terms of understanding of how they are alleged to work, it seems increasingly likely that the early ideas on this were quite WRONG :doh:! There's a very simple question you should ask your prescriber of SSRI's; why do they usually take weeks to kick in??? If the chemical mechanism proposed for the workings of SSRI's was correct, they should kick in straight away. The original SSRI (Prozac) was developed by Eli Lilly as a drug to treat high blood pressure, which it did it animals, but not in humans. Having spent loads of money developing it, they were intent of finding a use for and and went on to claim that it helped with depression. Of course, all you depressed people must surely know about the very murky history of Prozac; a number of books have been written about it. The fact is is that if Prozac was being tested now, it might not get a licence for use on depression, but the rules were easier back in the 1980's.

So too for ECT, nobody even claims to be sure about how that is alleged to work. I'd bet good money that, within the lifetime of younger members of this forum, SSRI's and ECT will be history. Always remember the medical practice of blood-letting; practiced all over the world for thousands of years... and completely daft.

And, I think that those who take a negative view of this new approach, well, they are daft too ;)!

Bod

Bod

I do think it is great that they are trying this out, but there needs to be many millions of people having this done then they can do follow up appointments to check how it is going.

Capt Hooke

Capt Hooke

I do think it is great that they are trying this out, but there needs to be many millions of people having this done then they can do follow up appointments to check how it is going.
I don't think it needs millions; a couple of hundred would be good. And, I'll bet there are a couple of hundred people willing to sign up for it now. If it was in the UK, I'd be checking it out....I'm running out of time :panic:.

Bod

Bod

I don't think it needs millions; a couple of hundred would be good. And, I'll bet there are a couple of hundred people willing to sign up for it now. If it was in the UK, I'd be checking it out....I'm running out of time :panic:.

Anything to do with my brain I would never allow anyone near it at all, but if it woks for some then great and I wish them the best of luck.

L

LouieLou

I'm unsure about it even in my darkest days contemplating and asking whether ECT would work as terrified of intrusive thoughts, I hope it has worked for her and will keep her in my prayers