New to thread- help with binge eating

C

Charvd

Hi,
I never thought I’d enter a forum like this, but I’m at my wits end. Im stuck in a cycle of binge eating and just need some help.
I’ve put on weight over the past year from it, but I just want to be normal and able to eat normally again.
I hate the way I look, but an unable to control my night time binged. Every Monday I start a new ‘this week it will change’ cycle, but it never does.
I’ve made an appointment at the drs, and know I’ll be referred for counselling, but I can’t think of any underlying issues as to why I binge.
It’s every night at the moment and anything I can find- icing, chocolate, biscuits. I lose track of what I’m eating and then every morning it’s the standard self hating.
Can anyone help me with this??

M

Mary26

Maybe start keeping a journal and write down any thoughts or feelings you have when the desire to binge takes over. Then hold off bingeing as long as you can and write down everything that comes up. This might give you some insight into what's going on.

C

Charvd

Thank you. I have tried that, but still can’t seem to pinpoint anything other than its definitely worse when I’m tired. But with two young kids just going to bed isn’t an option. Plus I don’t think I could sleep anyway.
I’m going to try using some self cbt tactics like brushing my teeth after each meal, but I don’t know. Just feel like nothing is working

M

Mary26

Well I don't know your schedule but not getting enough sleep will do it. When my kids were young I put them to bed early and went right to bed myself. The other moms felt they needed time alone at night and time to catch up on everything they didn't accomplish during the day but I have never been able to function without sleep so I always prioritized sleep over everything else. Is there any way you could do that and see if it changes your eating habits?

MaineCoon

MaineCoon

Are you actually hungry before you do it? I know I can't sleep when I'm hungry and often end up eating crap because I'm too tired and lazy to prepare something decent. What I've been doing is buying Slim Fast shakes and having one when I'm in sleepy-hungry mode, it gets enough into my stomach that I can fall asleep and it's strictly portion-controlled so I'm not going to keep reaching for more.

Apologies if that is entirely unhelpful. Being tired and hungry can definitely shoot your self-control straight to hell. If it's not a hunger issue your therapist will likely focus on ways to distract yourself from the compulsion, I hope you can find something that works for you.

C

Charvd

Thanks for responding 😊 no, def not hungry. Literally just keep eating waiting for that fullness/satisfied feeling to hit, but it never does. I’ve had it under control the past two evening, but still need that sweet hit after dinner. Trying to satisfy it with fruit at the moment, but still find myself reaching for the cereal or anything else a bit more substantial. I’ve got blood tests booked for next week so see if that shows anything. Just feels like this need to have sweet/carb food at night is never going to go