• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New to this..

M

mike4626

So I have been poking around in various threads here and I think I am a new sufferer of agoraphobia. I am to afraid to be left alone, to afraid to drive anywhere by myself, and in constant agony. I have been watching videos for meditation and trying to get out as much as possible but the only thing that seems to help me is if I take one of my xanax. I am needing more than ever before and am terribly afraid of becoming dependent on them. I have worked from home from a number of years so I am sure that is not helping and am an avid gamer. I try to spend as much time as I can away from the computer. I am going to join a 24 hr gym tomorrow down the road so hopefully I can try driving there with no issues. My anxiety is at its worst when I am trying to fall asleep. I was up til 4am yesterday then finally fell asleep and then woke up at 7am with a crazy panic attack. I was supposed to get my wife from the airport for noon but couldn't do it. I am supposed to see a therapist via zoom on the 14th and have another one on the 20th but any advice is appreciated. I try to keep as busy as possible even bought a fidget spinner while I am working.

A

Amyjane8812341

Hi 👋
I'm sorry your having such a hard time.
I wanted to share my experience with agoraphobia with you.
I have had it since I was a teen
In my early 20s I would leave the house maybe once a month and never on my own. I was like this for many years. I was TO scared to even answer the front door. Although I still have a lot of problems with my mental health my agoraphobia is a million times better. I can even walk to the shop on my own now. What helped me is to take a very small step at a time. for example, I would first walk to the shop with someone then the next time that person would come with me but a few steps behind me then the next time I would meet them a the shop moving onto going on my own but having somone on the phone. I did this over and over again. A little step at a time. Untill that fear is faced you cant move on.

I know we are all diffrent but I wanted to share with you that there is a way forward

Here if you ever need a chat

Amy x

M

mike4626

Thank you for the reply, since ive quit drinking I just feel like how I used to feel before I started my lexapro, wondering if maybe I should go from an SSRI to a SNRI or something? my problem has always been more panic than depression