• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New to this & need help

L

Lindsey.B

Hi,

So, um, I'm new to posting on this kind of thing but I've had an eating disorder for over 6 years.

It fluctuates. At first I restricted everything and exercised like crazy. Lost weight and then managed to hold myself there through periods of not eating/eating normal.

I then gained weight and lost it again a little more healthily, and then I got scared when it reached the same time of year I gained the weight last time (Christmas) To control my weigh I started to binge and purge. I turned to bulimia for about 10 months, but since have confessed to my boyfriend because I thought it was the only way I could stop because stopping for myself wasn't enough.

It worked. I did stop, albeit not straight away, but I still can't stop the binging fully.

And now I'm gaining weight and terrified I will revert back to purging.

I'm just so sick of thinking about food all the time and I just want to be normal. There's a lot of hatred inside of me because I think of the little girl I used to be and get so mad at myself for the person I've become because she doesn't deserve it; I don't deserve it.

I guess I just want some support really. I feel like I can't go to my doctor about it because he's all too close to my family and it's a small town where I'm originally from.

I know it's not going to be a case of waving a magic wand but I just want to feel less alone because right now, I feel like I'm going crazy.

Does anyone have any tips of stopping binge eating? I could really do with a few of those right now.

Thanks,

Lindsey. :sorry:

Last edited by a moderator:
M

Mastiff mom

Hi Lindsay, welcome to the forum! I wish I could be more helpful to you but I'm sure others with more knowledge will respond to you.

L

Lindsey.B

Thank you for the welcome and that's no problem. It's nice just to have a response and know someone is listening.

Thank you again

Lindsey

ClimberGirl

ClimberGirl

Hiya.

My tip for stopping irregular bingeing is to let yourself start and then make yourself stop temporarily, walk away, say, I'll come back in a moment, just need to let this food settle, and then think about how much is in my stomach and what it means to be full and decide I've had enough. Sometimes this means I can't go back to put the food away, and it doesn't work if I have a silly amount of cooked food left, but it does help to regulate what is "enough" mentally, although you do need 5 mins space to feel it. Make a drink or something to wash down the food and give yourself space (not looking at it). Hope that in some way helps!