• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New to this... and in need of support

geekchic182

geekchic182

I'm new to this forum and also new to coming to terms with my eating disorder. I used to display symptoms of anorexia, barely eating, afraid to eat and determined to lose weight, until I could bear it no longer and my family and friends started commenting on my eating habits. I now show symptoms of bulimia, I don't purge (although i have once or twice) but I have cycles of bingeing and fasting that have gotten out of control. I've been suffering for over a year now and was diagnosed with severe depression in july. I keep trying to 'cure' myself but without support its becoming extremely difficult and every time i have a weak moment I find myself distraught and back in the same cycle. It takes months to get sufficient counselling so i hoped that joining this forum would help me gain confidence within myself to get better.
I just need to know that its possible to recover, and quickly too, because its difficult to find support within my friends or family that gives me the confidence I need. It feels like no one truly understands and my abnormal eating is affecting every single thought in my head.
i'd like to know of other people who have had similar experiences and are on the way to recovery
x

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Hi and :welcome:

I'm afraid I don't know a lot about eating disorders but I am one of many on here who suffer from depression.

They are a helpful bunch so I am sure you will find your time here useful.

K

Kate31

Hi

Hi,

welcome to the forum. :)
I can relate to having a mixture of anorexia and bulimia symptoms and depression. It's very hard to get into recovery without support - i've found reading as much as i can on CBT has helped. Got some info on recovery tools on my website - www.anorexiarecovery.webs.com

Recovery is certainly achievable but it often takes time as all the patterns of thinking/behaving get ingrained so it's a gradual process to undo all this and start to think differently. 'CBT & Eating Disorders' & 'CBT for anorexia' have helped me to make changes.
Even though i have regular depression not SAD i've found my light-box to be a terrific help as boosts seretonin/mood/energy levels - might be worth a try?

Take care of you, kate x

geekchic182

geekchic182

thank you both for your replies =] I'm feeling VERY positive! I've been given a book on CBT which im planning on tackling very soon, im in a very optimistic mood today and I'll take those ideas into account, thanks x

Prince Buster

Prince Buster

Good to hear you are in a positive mood. There is plenty on here abour cbt - have a look around and you will see that I contribute a fair bit to it!