• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New to the Forums and looking for help.

B

BrookeAB

Hey all!
So, after having a panic attack tonight, I decided to get on the internet and look for some support and some advice.
So, let me star out by giving you a little background information. I've always had anxiety. I remember being at age seven and thinking the worst possible scenarios that could happen to the ones I love most. Now that I'm older (20 years), I still have these thoughts, but with (please do not judge me) my dog. She is two and a half years old and I got her after some of the crappiest days of my life when my other two dogs passed away 6 months apart. She is my best friend and makes me so happy. I am attached to her and every month at around a week before, during and after my monstural cycle I start to think she has the worst illness. I have spent a lot of money on her for the vet to say each month, that she has a clean bill of health. I know I have a problem and I speak to my mom and sister about it. They've tried to help, but when I'm having a panic attack NOTHING soothes my mind. They eventually get frustrated with me and give up helping. And, I don't blame them. So, I turn to others who also get panick attacks. Any advice on what I could do? I do appreciate it in advance.

B

ballerina123

are you getting any professional help? meds? a psychiatrist? GP? therapy?

we are here to support you but if might really help you to get professional help.

welcome to the boards. x

B

BrookeAB

are you getting any professional help? meds? a psychiatrist? GP? therapy?

we are here to support you but if might really help you to get professional help.

welcome to the boards. x
I am not getting professional help, at the moment, I don't have insurance.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It's a pity you can't speak to a professional due to a lack of insurance.

The next best thing I suppose is to look into self-management of your anxiety and try to gather up some coping mechanisms that work for you.

I'm wondering if you've considered looking for any self-help books?
A psychiatrist I had several years ago recommended the Cognitive Behavioural Therapy Workbook for Dummies, which was quite helpful in terms of giving me an understanding of my anxieties and things that I could do to help myself.

The only thing I would say is that cognitive behavioural therapy techniques only work if you're not at rock bottom (at least in my experience).

As for the panic attacks, have you found anything that helps?
Sometimes putting your hands on a flat surface can help you feel a bit steadier and more grounded.
Cold water on your wrists or splashing it on your face might help.
I know it's a bit of a cliché, but try focusing on breathing calmly.

I would say that if you can catch yourself having anxious thoughts before you're at the stage of having a panic attack, that's the time to act. It's better to try and nip it in the bud than get totally overwhelmed.
Distraction is the key.

B

BrookeAB

I will have to read that book! I will pick it up tomorrow. I have tried to exercise when I am starting to worry about something, and it helps, but, when I start to actually feel anxious I get into this shell that is VERY hard for me to break out of. If that makes sense? I get very warm, start sweating and shaking and having the most awful thoughts. Really, nothing can penetrate my mind once it goes into panic mode. And, it carries on to my dreams to where I start having bad dreams. This started recently, within the past three months or so. I have noticed that if i keep myself distracted, like reading or going to work or even going for a drive, it really helps me get my mind off of whatever is causing me to feel anxious. But, I just don't know what to do after that? I can't read or go on a drive forever. lol I will try to focus on my breathing to see if that helps.

L

larry

Hey Brooke!
I am having very similar issues as you. I have these really disturbing thoughts and once I give in and start overthinking it, I am in a continuous loop. I start having very high levels of anxiety, and overall I just feel awful.
I am also 20 and have been fighting my OCD for my entire life. I still struggle greatly on a day to day basis, some days I just feel helpless.
I guess the things that have helped me is writing things down, either in a forum like this, or just something for yourself. This kind of problem can often try and make you feel isolated from the rest of the world. It simply helps to realize that you arent alone.
Also try and find a hobby that works off steam. I have started going to the gym and it helps me clear my mind.
Hopefully this was of some help, I hope you feel better!

B

BrookeAB

Larry - sorry for the late reply! And, thank you for your very helpful reply. It is comforting to know that I am not alone in this. I will have to try to find something that takes my mind off of my OCD/Anxiety. I've been trying a journal, reading and driving around my town.

L

larry

I mean I guess whats probably best in the long run is to just try and just face the thoughts, accept that you will have these thoughts about ur dog and do your best to not let these thoughts alter you actions. Your stress level will rise but you will 'apparently' reach a maximum and be able to calm down.
But I have yet to muster up the courage to do this myself, I guess it is easier said then done :p. But make sure you have help while doing this, so that it stays manageable.
I am not a professional though, this is simply what I've read!

E

EmilyExercise13

Hey Brooke, I see that it says AB after your name. Does that stand for Alberta as in Alberta, Canada? If so can you go see anyone at Alberta Health Services? I think that you would be covered, but not sure though. I saw that after your name and wasn't sure if that's what that stood for. If not, have you tried mindfullness. Being mindful of breathing or whatever you are doing?

M

mon_amie

In my early days when my ocd began I remember cuddling my thinking shih tzu for comfort after feeling emotonally exhausted by my thoughts and realizing that he was the only thing I didn't have crazy thoughts and of course what should happen right after. I am also with you Brooke when it comes to family members getting tired of helping. Its hard but I guess that's why they have forums like this. I find that it helps to remind yourself who you are. You are not ocd. You are someone who loves your dog and etc. I recommend this especially when you just feel in the pits and don't know how to focus.

E

EmilyExercise13

I also know what you mean about family members getting exhausted of trying to help or even being around you. I figured out that by telling my mom how I feel and everything I need to say to her will help her understand me better.