• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New to Gad

C

Cuddlybear533

I am new to gad. Does anyone else have muscle tension/aches combined with the feeling of being on edge/easily startled? Thanks!

Purple Chaos

Purple Chaos

Hi Cuddlybear and welcome to the forum.

I've not experienced this but I'm aware that GAD can affect you both mentally and physically. I would imagine that the tension and aches are tied in with feeling on edge. Perhaps you are tensing your muscles more when feeling this way? It's just a thought.

Hopefully others who have experience with this issue will come along with a more helpful response.

Take care.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Whilst i'm not diagnosed with GAD, I can definitely relate to what you're experiencing.

Tense, achy body and hyper-vigilance.. I get startled to easily.

I find a hot water bottle can help with the aching. As for being so easily scared, I tend to wear headphones and listen to music a lot so i'm not so sensitive to loud noises (that's what sets me off more than anything, an unexpected loud noise).

T

tobermory

I get startled for most unexpected reasons .. like traveling in a Metro (what you refer to as the Tube in UK), every time a station arrives and there is a chime of 'ping' before the doors open, I jump out of my skin ... when I was working, if a co-worker as much as sneezed...same effect.

So far as tension/aches are concerned, from my personal experience, it comes because one tenses his/her body/muscles to avoid/minimize that startle response, in anticipation of it....what my doc called anticipatory anxiety.

T

tobermory

Just to add...

Anticipatory anxiety has many of the characteristics of generalised anxiety: increase of attention, apprehension, restlessness and avoidance. During anticipatory anxiety, a person’s body may be habitually tense, waiting for the event. This can also have a disabling effect, since having a tense body may actually lead to problems such as hyperventilation, chest pain and muscle spasm.
https://www.anxietyuk.org.uk/about-anxiety/anxiety-disorder-and-stress/anticpatory-anxiety

*3mes3

Hi Cuddlybear. I know EXACTLY how you're feeling.
My body often feels like it's falling apart, I'm trembling, my muscles ache, and I feel weak. You name it, I've felt it too. I struggle with health anxiety a lot and my first thought is always that I'm developing MS, or worse, ALS. However, I have found it helpful to look back to the past when I fee this way. When I do, I often remember that I've felt this way before and that once my mental health is back on track, my body follows suit.
Oh, and the easily startled thing is a new one for me, but it is mighty unpleasant.
My advice would be, after checking in with your doctor that is, to find something, anything, to take your mind off of your body, and NEVER google symptoms. The internet will always tell you you have cancer.

T

tobermory

NEVER google symptoms. The internet will always tell you you have cancer.
Well ... I quoted from that webpage because that's exactly how I feel and couldn't have put it in better words (as I had attempted in the post before it) :p:innocent: