• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

new to forum

M

macbear

Hi my name is Colin, I have had depression for two years. I sometimes drink to try to block things out but that just makes things worse. Does anyone do anything else that helps?

G

GrizzlyBear

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum. If you search the forum you will find lots of posts with helpful suggestions for ways to deal with issues like depression.

I do a variety of things.....the most helpful of which are:

Keeping a journal (verbal diarrhoea, I call it)

Seeing a therapist regularly (also, it might be said, verbal diarrhoea - which I thoroughly recommend) :LOL:

Distraction (in the form of movies, reading, conversation, travel, music)

nickh

nickh

Founding Member
Hi and :welcome: to the Forum macbear.

As Grizzly says you will find lots of suggestion for the different ways in which people evolve coping mechanisms - some people for instance find exercise works - but it is not for me :rolleyes: ; if I am really bad I am not really capable of doing anything, but when a bit better video games, mindless television, re-reading books are among my most tried and tested ways. But everyone is an individual. The Golden Rule is not to do anything which makes you worse - and alcohol unfortunately does as you say - well it does as soon as it wears off! (tried that). I am afraid the rest is very individual.

Nick.

Emily-Rose

Emily-Rose

Hey theree,

Welcome to the forum I'm glad you found us! Everyone's really friendly here, and I hope you get the help and support you need

Since you're new here it might be helpful to read the forum rules and guidelines if you haven't already done so, by clicking here
http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=96
And the "How to use this forum" section might be of use to you if you aren't sure how to naviagate around the forums (I remember when I first came, I knew nothing )

http://www.mentalhealthforum.net/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=27
I hope you like it here and stay around I hope to see you around the forums!

Emily.x

Last edited by a moderator:
bluenomore

bluenomore

Hi my name is Colin, I have had depression for two years. I sometimes drink to try to block things out but that just makes things worse. Does anyone do anything else that helps?
Hey Colin,
:welcome: to the forum.
Yeah, I can relate to the depression and drinking cycle.
I take prescribed anti-depressants and have good days and bad days.

Hope you find this place useful. There are lots of us here who share your problems :)

ms_P

ms_P

Founding Member
Hi Macbear,
I hope you take the time to read what's on the forum. So many of us have been through what you have. We find things out along the way and sharing helps ease the burden. :flowers:
welcome-2.png

Lion Heart

Lion Heart

hello Macbear,i hope you are feeling ok mate,i find playing pc games helps me with my depression ;)