• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New to anxiety and feeling lost

J

Jules3667

Hi everyone. Like many of you I am feeling lost and desperate at the moment. Retired from a busy job into post Covid world with lockdowns and most activities being driven online. Added to which I had a series of migraines that shook me and made me feel vulnerable. At which point I just developed awful anxiety. Keeps me awake and I feel it creeping through my veins in the day and night. Mood drops with anxiety so I’m depressed too. On amitriptyline (for migraine) but been put on 20mg for sleep as well. Think I need ADs too - but do they help anxiety. I just need to know if there’s a way though this. Feel os lost and not normal. Got CBT councillor but not sure it helps. The more I talk about it the worse I feel. Would appreciate hearing from others. X

GhostOfLenin

GhostOfLenin

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hi everyone. Like many of you I am feeling lost and desperate at the moment. Retired from a busy job into post Covid world with lockdowns and most activities being driven online. Added to which I had a series of migraines that shook me and made me feel vulnerable. At which point I just developed awful anxiety. Keeps me awake and I feel it creeping through my veins in the day and night. Mood drops with anxiety so I’m depressed too. On amitriptyline (for migraine) but been put on 20mg for sleep as well. Think I need ADs too - but do they help anxiety. I just need to know if there’s a way though this. Feel os lost and not normal. Got CBT councillor but not sure it helps. The more I talk about it the worse I feel. Would appreciate hearing from others. X
Hello and welcome home. Anti depressants will calm you a bit but they take a while to start doing their job. Anti anxiety meds are different. Really depends on your own thoughts on what you what to try and the degree of help you think you need xxx

B

bpd2020

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Hello Jules. Welcome to the forum. I am sorry you have anxiety and migraines. I think you may feel worse having therapy as you are talking about very difficult and painful things. Therapy does make things come to light and that can be hard. In the long term it is beneficial. You could ask your doctor for antianxiety medication as that targets anxiety. An antidepressant would be useful if you have a low mood.

Jules, do not despair. Anxiety is horrible but there is a lot of support for it.

eastcoastoz

eastcoastoz

Hi Jules, I just read your post, it doesn’t sound too pleasant at all for you at the moment sorry to hear that, and I know from experience when your in the midst of something like that it’s horrible but for what it’s worth things can and do shift for the better sooner or later :) Just so I have a better understanding of your situation, are these symptoms you’re experiencing ,is this all new to you as in you don’t have a history of anxiety or mental health related issues? I’m not a doctor but I do have some experience with various medications to deal with anxiety. Here in Australia the standard medication for temporary/instant relief from anxiety are benzodiazepines like Valium but it comes with risks if you were to become addicted or misuse it. I know that some of the SSRI anti depressants can work really well and are designed to provide relief from anxiety related stuff. I guess that’s where finding out as much as possible from your GP and even online might help. I know how uncomfortable anxiety and depression can be but with the right medication and can become far more manageable. Well I hope that helps somewhat. Take care and good luck!

J

Justwant2bnormal

For Migraines, and side effect is less "going on" in my head at least. I suggest micro dosing marijuana. I used to get migraines weekly since i was about 12.
At 36 i started researching and across the pond they prescribed "spice" which at the time in america was legal but always shafy because it wasn't regulated. But i tried it. 1 bowl and my headache was gone. Since then i have smoked daily. Im 41 and since i started smoking the only migraines i have had are related to the barometric pressure. Ive only had 6. In 5 years. From a weekly event.

For the feelings that come out after therapy. Thats good, imo, it helps you work through those things now that they on the surface, i force myself to deal with whatever those feelings were. (Shove them back down)
Eventually it gets better. Even if it doesn't feel like it now.

TylersOutlet24

TylersOutlet24

Hi Jules - their is a way through this, try to keep positive thoughts flowing and focus on getting better, have that goal in your head. I have tried two Antidepressants, Citalopram, Fluoxetine.

They make me sleep like a log in all honesty. CBT does help slightly, as im currently doing it:)

J

Jules3667

Thank you everyone for your replies - means a lot.