• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

L

liafan

Chinese, in beijing, suffered from depression before.
Here to make friends and help each other.
Could i ask:
1)is this a uk site?
2)By proportion of people with mental problems, uk is in what position in a worldwide rank, with respect to the severity?

pepecat

pepecat

Hi

Yes, this is a uk site.
I have no idea where the uk ranks against other countries. For what, anyway? Incidences of mental illness generally, or specific ones? I don't think we're particularly worse or better than other western countries really. I think the overall levels of mental health issues is roughly about the same across the western world. Possibly more in the usa, but you'd have to look at WHO statistics for that info I think.

Kerome

Kerome

Hi Liafan and :welcome:

Yes it's a UK site although there are people here from all over the world. It's generally a very friendly and compassionate crowd, so feel free to share whatever is on your mind, you won't get judged.

Many of the mental disorders actually have a constant rate of occurrence worldwide, so it's difficult to say which country had the most people with a disorder. Surely it's more important which country has the best treatment?

Hope you enjoy your stay here :)

SarahD

SarahD

Hi liafan

Welcome to the forum. :flower2:

Have a look around at the different sections, and when you feel comfortable join in discussions or start a thread.

Hope you enjoy the forum and find it useful.

Best wishes, Sarah

Q

Quickduck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
:welcome: to the forum. :)
Yes this is a UK based site, although we have people from all over the world posting here.
1 in 4 people in the UK will be diagnosed with a mental health problem during their lifetime; this is probably about the same for the rest of the industrialised world I think.
Severity is a difficult area to quantify, but serious cases are concentrated among a relatively small proportion of people who experience more than one mental health problem. But there's an increased risk of suicide amoung people with Mental Health pr6oblems, so it worth treating every case as serious.
It is estimated that approximately 450 million people worldwide have a mental health problem. (World Health Organisation, 2001)
But then access to diagnosis and treatment does vary throughout the world so it's hard to give more than an estimate or compare between countries.

L

liafan

thank you for all the answers.
how to post thanks,like,hug? can they add the score of the owner of the post? or just an attitude? i pressed the icon, doesnot work.

SarahD

SarahD

Liafan

Sometimes you have to press the icon for thanks, like, hug more than once. Press it then wait a few seconds, if it does not work try it again. It does work eventually! There is no benefit in pressing them except to show the person who wrote that post what you think about it.

(Try pressing for slightly longer.)

Sarah