E

Elizabeth1

Hi, I have just joined and am looking forward to interacting with others with similar problems.

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Elizabeth

Welcome to the forum. You will find lots of friendly people here who will be happy to discuss things with you and provide help and support.

Have a look around, and when you feel comfortable start posting. Feel,free to ask any questions.

Hope you enjoy the forum and find it useful.

Best wishes, Sarah. :flower2:

katya

katya

Hello and :welcome:

It's a really good support system here - I know it's helped me!

E

Elizabeth1

thanks for your welcome. still not sure how to use site. I am retired now at 63, but suffered a great deal of stress a few years ago which led to diagnosis of schitophrenia. I am on medication now and feel ok, just lonely.

Not sure how to use thid site yet, hopefully I will work it out soon.

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum, Elizabeth.
If you click on this link, it will take you to a post by a member of staff that may be helpful for you in terms of understanding how to use this forum better.
Please don't be too put off because I know this forum is quite busy, but once you get to know the place, it's a very helpful forum to be a part of. :)

G

Gredge23

I'm new here aswell and I love the place already , everyone is really friendly! :) welcome Elizabeth

N

natalie

Hi,

I would like to welcome Elizabeth1, and Gredge 23, welcome to the forum, some of us are often around, so if you feel you might need a bit of advice, or some support, I'll certainly will be here every so often.

Natalie.

E

Elizabeth1

Hi I have had depression for many years. I am now retired at 63 but suffered stress a couple of years ago and developed schizophrenia. I am on medication and feel ok now and thinking of reducing medication. Not sure what to expect from this site, but sharing experiences will be a plus I think.

N

natalie

HI,

Your Welcome,

I have been in the same boat, trhough trauma, and or stress, developed sczhophrenia side of things, anxious parnaoia and even heairng voices. For me, even to be on reduced doseage such as 20ml, is now not even a posiitve dose anymore, and prefer 25ml. I would consider very carefully and in fact, I would seek a mental health expert medical assistance in this matter, if you are under a Community Mental Health Team, which I am not about to suggest that I would ask, they would be the best ones to advise you; or see your GP. You can probably get a GP referral for CMHT doctors, and if necessary CPNs, care plan nurse. I feel, that you ought to be cautious about reducing the doseage, even if you have felt stablised for a very long time, the dose is working, and that's what it's supposed to do.

Natalie.

E

Elizabeth1

Hi, I will see my gp if I decide to reduce my medication, though I don't like going. When I was physically ill recently I thought they seemed to focus on my mental health instesd. I was referred to the CMHT and hsd an assessment. They offered me a local service but I refused to deal with them due to past experiences. I did have 4 weeks of telephone councelling before I was discharged. I felt yhey thought I was coping on my own, but I would have liked someone to talk to.
Anyway, how do you cope as I don't have many friends I don't mind discussing thingd on here.

katya

katya

Hi, I will see my gp if I decide to reduce my medication, though I don't like going. When I was physically ill recently I thought they seemed to focus on my mental health instesd. I was referred to the CMHT and hsd an assessment. They offered me a local service but I refused to deal with them due to past experiences. I did have 4 weeks of telephone councelling before I was discharged. I felt yhey thought I was coping on my own, but I would have liked someone to talk to.
Anyway, how do you cope as I don't have many friends I don't mind discussing thingd on here.
Hello and :welcome:

The Samaritans are good if you're feeling lonely. This forum is really good too; I've met some great people on here and they've been massively helpful and lovely to me. Another thing I would suggest would be to find something you could join within your community - there might be some interesting clubs available.

Wish you all the best.

E

Elizabeth1

Thanks for your reply.
I do voluntary work 2 days a week, which I find hard sometimes, as I get tired standing up all the time! I recently joined a "knit and natter" group with the local church and am knitting a baby blanket now.
I still feel lonely but I think that is partly due to my age. I have got better at passing the time these last few months as I just go shopping locally as I don't feel up to travelling very far as I don't drive.
I am luckier than some people as I have family that visit.

N

natalie

Hi again,

Yes, good idea, JRuth regarding to join a club within the community,.

In answer to the question; how does one cope with mental health problems, maitenance - fine, very well, I am on only 1 type of medication, for the sczhophrenic side of things, and I basically use self help management interests; working out to fitness dvds, sewing work - cross stitching, and I listen to music through personal cd player combined with cross stitching or knitting. I'll point out, that I am a very well character and I am just under GP Practice care, I was discharged back in 2008, with a brief referral back in, again, in 2012, now 2015, and I have managed very well without extra mental health back up since. Furthermore, I am on call for volunteering at a few charities I am registered with for on volunteering standby.

Yes, I also agree to the extent, that you if you are able, you could investigate in a comunnity group or club in your area.

Best Wishes,

Natalie.

N

natalie

Sorry, I just realised, that you also do voluntary work, a couple days a week.

By volunteering, you should be able to meet people along the way through volunteering.

Natalie.