• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New Member: Your Advice What Should I Tell My Doctor?

G

GraceC

Hello Everyone,

I'm Grace, I'm from the UK and I could do with some advice I'm not sure if I should bother my doctor with some issues I'm having.

I've been in treatment since I was 14, I'll be 26 this year. I have been on at least 5 different antidepressants. I'm currently on Amitriptyline 175 mg daily and Aripiprazole 30 mg daily.

I've never officially been told what's wrong but with me but when I asked they said I had treatment resistant major depression and a severe anxiety disorder.

I have tried to take my own life several times in the past most recently two months ago.

My problem is I hear music when there is none playing. I've always thought of this as a normal thing as everyone gets a song "stuck in their head" but after talking to someone about it I think it could be more than that well I'm not sure.

You see I actually hear the music with my ears real music it only happens for a couple of minutes at most. The person I spoke to said because the music is "external" and not "internal" ie in my head and due to my mental illness it's likely to be an auditory hallucination. I have been known to see things that are not there but this has always been put down to lack of sleep (as I don't sleep well).

I have been quite unwell and things have been quite surreal this has been the first time I've been able to focus on the computer in over a month.

Should I mention this to my doctor or just leave it?

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

It may be worth mentioning to your doctor if you feel you want some reassurance.

As it's not something that's troubling you (or at least I presume it isn't?), I doubt that they will be really concerned. Not to belittle your experience at all, but as it isn't something menacing like a voice saying horrible things, they make just tell you not to worry about it.

It could just be similar to people getting a song stuck in their head, expect you may have a particularly strong/active recollection of the music. x

Oh and welcome to the forum! :)

G

GraceC

It may be worth mentioning to your doctor if you feel you want some reassurance.

As it's not something that's troubling you (or at least I presume it isn't?), I doubt that they will be really concerned. Not to belittle your experience at all, but as it isn't something menacing like a voice saying horrible things, they make just tell you not to worry about it.

It could just be similar to people getting a song stuck in their head, expect you may have a particularly strong/active recollection of the music. x

Oh and welcome to the forum! :)
Thank you for the welcome! :)

Please don't worry about belittling anything I know it's rather minor that's why I came here first. If I am honest I have had or do have voices from time to time but not as often as music. When questioned about the voices I lied I know that's not constructive but I was scared.

The reason I ask about the music as if they are hallucinations could they be treated?

By the way if you happen to read this I love your username/avatar combo. :)

Thank you for answering.

Grace x

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Ah, well it could be hallucinations if you've also experienced voices.
I don't know much about aripiprazole, and so not sure whether the dose you're on is considered high/medium/low, but it should help with hallucinations.
Perhaps if you did mention this to your doctor, they would increase the medication.

When i've had psychotic symptoms they've always been strongly delusional rather than hallucinations, and so i'm not sure just how helpful medication is in helping when you're hearing things that aren't there... hopefully someone else might see this thread who has had experiences like the ones you describe.

And thanks for the avatar/username appreciation. :) x