• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Member, saying Hello

M

MThree

Hi everyone,
My names Darren and what brings me here is my Anxiety. I’m looking to get more of an in sight to see how similar like minded people deal with it and see what’s normal / not normal as I don’t feel myself lately.
A bit of my history regarding my Anxiety. I believe I’ve suffered with it for many years however it was only about 5 years ago I broke down and went to see my GP. This is where I acknowledged something wasn’t normal.
I started on a low dose of sertraline and immediately my head started rushing and felt on top of the world, all was not good as I also had severe side effects at the same time.So some more talking with my GP and we lowered the dosage more and gradually built it up. Sertraline worked great for me however I could not live with the side effects of nausea / vomiting.
We then agreed to try escitalopram as this was meant to give less side effects.
Moving on a few years and all was great , nice family home with a 3 year old daughter together. My main hobby has always been motorbikes and unfortunately was involved in a motorbike accident where a car pulled out on me. The usual lucky to be alive springs to mind as used by all bikers.
This accident really knocked me about, and to top it off I lost my main hobby which I believe was keeping my mind under control.
7 months after the accident I split with my daughters mother (together for 9 years) and started up fresh. Things got really messy regarding childcare arrangements and communicating to each other however around work I still get my daughter 3 days / nights a week and I do as much for her that I can.
I waited for my ex to move on (which took about 2 months for her to move someone into our old house)
Later on I decided to date and am now in another relationship, nearly 2 years on and I’m getting serious relationship anxiety, I feel like one day I could run away and throw it all away , the next it’s the best thing in the world. It’s feelings like this I want to understand and try and control as I do believe I’ve found a good ‘un.
Going back to my aftercare from the accident I received 16 meetings for PTSD trauma and found this massively improved my thoughts and moods. These no longer happen and have ended.
Anyway that’s a short glimpse into my messed up world. Let’s see what this forum has to offer.
😁

midnightphoenix

midnightphoenix

Hi Darren and welcome to the forum, we're happy to have you here :welcome:

Sorry about the accident, i hope you and daughter are okay now :hug:

T

Thisisfine

Hi MThree and welcome to the forum!
Thanks for telling your story! And I hope you are all doing ok. I can really relate to the feeling of the „next thing being the best thing“ it has often stressed me and caused anxiety.
What is it that gives you good feelings in your relationship and life at the moment?

M

MThree

Thanks for the warm welcome! 😊
The relationship I have at the moment has been very close knitted from day 1, we do everything together, any spare time without kids then we make the most of it, sometimes we do feel we are too alike in everything we discuss and do it’s scary 🤣 She makes me feel like I’m the only one which is great. There have been a few hiccups as usual but worked through them and come out stronger. My past relationships have been a lot different , I always had a lot of time to myself doing hobbies, going out with friends and never felt too close to the other half.
I don’t feel settled at the minute. I could have a change in how I feel and imagine just leaving and going back to just me and my daughter, it’s so bizarre. Yet I could wake up tomorrow and everything is perfect it’s so hard to explain.

OCDguy

OCDguy

Are you getting everything you want/need from this new relationship? How commited are you? Do you know what the underlying reasons are for being able to just walk away? Could it be anything to do with how your last relationship ended?