• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New member, looking for advice and help.

R

Rovers fan

Hi all, just signed up and was hoping to get some help and advice.
I have been breathless for about 7 week now, had xrays and bloods and lung function test and all OK.
I ama stressful guy and have lots of worries.
I have had a constant slight breathlessness but sometimes feel that breathless at times I thought I was going to die ,got very afraid .
Doctor told me this is probably anxiety ? Can anxiety cause constant breathlessness with severe peaks for 7 weeks ?
Doc has given me citalopram 10mg, but I get the feeling the doc is fed up with me calling him.
Just very afraid at the moment.
Any advice would be great.
Keith

B

BarbaraPendragon

Hi Rovers fan, sorry you aren't in a good place right now. As you've had all the tests, it seems like anxiety is the cause - a lot of people don't realise how physically ill these mental health problems can make you. I hope the meds help, but I guess you also need to find ways to relax.
Good luck.

Blooming

Blooming

:welcome: YES, anxiety can be so! Citalopram has helped me. Keep going and trust your doc, one step at the time. :)

Faith198

Faith198

Anxiety can cause breathlessness, I get it all the time. I wanted to ask if they had checked out your heart at all? Not to scare you. If they have then yeah I would say anxiety is most likely the cause. I’m not a doctor but from my experience, I get short of breath when really stressed out and anxious.

R

Rovers fan

Hi Rovers fan, sorry you aren't in a good place right now. As you've had all the tests, it seems like anxiety is the cause - a lot of people don't realise how physically ill these mental health problems can make you. I hope the meds help, but I guess you also need to find ways to relax.
Good luck.
Thank you for getting back to me , I didn't ever think I could be afeted by mental illness.
But I guess nobody does.

R

Rovers fan

Anxiety can cause breathlessness, I get it all the time. I wanted to ask if they had checked out your heart at all? Not to scare you. If they have then yeah I would say anxiety is most likely the cause. I’m not a doctor but from my experience, I get short of breath when really stressed out and anxious.
Thank you for getting back to me, I am very grateful for all advice (got tears in my eyes now) felt like I was going to have to deal with it on my own) had ecg and was fine.

R

Rovers fan

:welcome: YES, anxiety can be so! Citalopram has helped me. Keep going and trust your doc, one step at the time. :)
Thank you for the reply, nice to know people are out there with problems like me.

R

Rovers fan

Good luck.
Thanks for the reply., nice to get your advice.

Faith198

Faith198

Thank you for getting back to me, I am very grateful for all advice (got tears in my eyes now) felt like I was going to have to deal with it on my own) had ecg and was fine.
awww. Ok that’s great to hear. Yes this sounds like anxiety like everyone else has said :hug: there’s some breathing exercises you can do online that might help with that feeling too. I’ll leave the link here incase you’re interested: Shortness of Breath and Anxiety: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment

R

Rovers fan

awww. Ok that’s great to hear. Yes this sounds like anxiety like everyone else has said :hug: there’s some breathing exercises you can do online that might help with that feeling too. I’ll leave the link here incase you’re interested: Shortness of Breath and Anxiety: Symptoms, Causes, and Treatment
So just so I am clear, have you heard of people being a bit breathless for weeks on end and have short attacks where you feel like your going to die ? Just need to get it in my head ☺

Faith198

Faith198

So just so I am clear, have you heard of people being a bit breathless for weeks on end and have short attacks where you feel like your going to die ? Just need to get it in my head ☺
yes 😊 sounds like anxiety/panic attacks. I get the same way. You’ll get breathless and feel a sense of impending doom

R

Rovers fan

yes 😊 sounds like anxiety/panic attacks. I get the same way. You’ll get breathless and feel a sense of impending doom
Thank you soooooo much for your replies, it has eased my mind quite a bit.
Feel like a fool now for arguing with my doc.
Stay safe
Keith

A

All be good

Hi all, just signed up and was hoping to get some help and advice.
I have been breathless for about 7 week now, had xrays and bloods and lung function test and all OK.
I ama stressful guy and have lots of worries.
I have had a constant slight breathlessness but sometimes feel that breathless at times I thought I was going to die ,got very afraid .
Doctor told me this is probably anxiety ? Can anxiety cause constant breathlessness with severe peaks for 7 weeks ?
Doc has given me citalopram 10mg, but I get the feeling the doc is fed up with me calling him.
Just very afraid at the moment.
Any advice would be great.
Keith
hi dear!I have the same kinda symptoms for weeks .Shortness of breath and feel like diying and dizzy sometimes .I have sometimes fhisical symptoms really scary.i wanted to write on here before ,but there was some problem with confirmation.I Think this is some thing to do with nerve system disfunction or anxiety. What do you do now? Have you taken anything for this?Ales.