• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Member Intro.

Faylen

Faylen

Hi All,

Thanks for having me.

A brief background to me. I experienced a difficult abusive childhood up into my teens and then fell into a four year domestic violent relationship. I have struggled with depression for as long as I can remember and have dealt with PTSD, anorexia, self harm, alcohol abuse and three suicide attempts. I am now twenty three years old and life is more on track. I have a good job, I am trying to deal with things in a healthier way and I have a loving partner who is patient and supportive. Recently I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder which is very new to me and originally a shock - but actually explains some of my more impulsive and changeable mood swings.

I have had some dark periods so far in my life and still come out the other side. I never imagined I would still be alive this long - which is incredibly sad considering I am still young.

I think it is difficult to deal with your past, your present and to try and imagine a future. It is even more difficult when a lot of it is painful and has damaged your outlook on life. I try to be positive and healthy but I will openly admit it is still a struggle to wake up and open the curtains most the time.

A lot of the problem people have is trying to express how they feel but fearing no one will understand so I hope that I can gain that understanding from this forum and hopefully give understanding back to those who need it.

AliceinWonderland

AliceinWonderland

Staff Member on Leave
I think it is difficult to deal with your past, your present and to try and imagine a future. It is even more difficult when a lot of it is painful and has damaged your outlook on life. I try to be positive and healthy but I will openly admit it is still a struggle to wake up and open the curtains most the time.

A lot of the problem people have is trying to express how they feel but fearing no one will understand so I hope that I can gain that understanding from this forum and hopefully give understanding back to those who need it.
Well put Faylen. :welcome:, I hope you like it here :peace:

SarahD

SarahD

Hi Faylen

Welcome to the forum.

Sorry you have been through such difficult times. I am glad to hear things are going better, with a good partner and a job you like.

Members here will be happy to have discussions and provide information and support. You will find people who understand your experiences, sometimes with mental health difficulties that isn't easy to find in real life.

I hope you find the forum interesting and helpful, as I have done.

Best wishes, Sarah

SomersetScorpio

SomersetScorpio

Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like you've been through a lot. I'm really glad to hear that you are no longer in your abusive relationship - getting away can be extremely tough. :hug1:

I think what you wrote about finding it hard to have an optimistic view on life when you've been hurt and gone through so much, is something i'm sure a lot of us can relate to. I certainly do.
I suppose it's gently forward, baby steps.

Anyway, I hope that you find the forum is a helpful place to be. :)