• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New member - anorexic - need "time out"

K

kezza

Hi all...I have just found this board and hope I can contribute in some way..i also hope you can help me.

I am a middle aged male, diagnosed with depression and anorexia...despite being on Citalopram for last two months and having regular CBT sessions with a pscholgist and quarterly psychaitric sessions I have been unable as yet to reach a "weight gain" breakthrough....my BMI is < 17

It has gotten to the stage I have had to take some time away from work ( they have been very understanding when I explained my illness ) ..I have currently been off for two weeks and am due back at the doc but I don't feel ready to work yet...I need to get well. I don't have any energy, can't focus or concentrate , get lightheaded, suffer stress / anxiety.

Can anyone tell me what may be a reasonable time to stay away from the office in order to "recharge" and somehow make the breakthrough to weight restoration ?

S

summerfairy

I don't think anyone can put a number on that and it would depend on the individual circumstances. You can't really say, you just have to see what happens. No one can tell you you'll be well in 1 week, or 3, or whatever.

I think it's good that you've taken some time away in order to work through this. Hopefully (noticing the date on the post!) by the time you read this you'll have been back to the doctor and I hope you told him/her what you described below about how you're feeling.

Good luck
x

S

Sarey

Could you ask your doctor for a high calorie diet?