• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Member - advice needed please!

L

lizzie7

Hi there,

I'm really worried and I don't know what to do. I finally plucked up the courage to go and see my GP about how anxious and stressed I've been feeling over the past year and a half.

It was an awful experience - I felt humiliated when I came out and burst into tears straight away. He basically told me that everyone gets anxious at times and wouldn't let me explain myself and just kept asking if I felt depressed and what was my appetite like. He said it could be something to do with my thyroid and said I should go for a blood test. I had been worrying about the appointment for weeks and I just felt stupid and like I should never have gone.

I don't know what to do now - I am too scared to talk about it and get the same reaction from another GP.

Has anyone else had a bad experience/any advice for what I should do next?

chazxxx

chazxxx

Ive been to 6 different gp's at different times over the past about 10years. Some gp's are terrible. One told me to go for a walk because everyones tierd after work. Another one that said "i was sad at university. I sat in the closet and i cried then i said to myself do i want to be this way. No. So i stopped."
Im sorry you had such a bad experience. But yeah i know what its like. Each time i went it was only out of desperation as a last resort and to be dismissed like that just makes you feel so much worse.
I think gp's are under pressure because their accused of giving out antidepressents like candy and therapy usually has long waiting lists so they don't like doing that either.
All i can say is please don't let it bring you down further. Try again with a different gp. I finally found one who listerned to me. Just wish someone would have all those years ago and my bad experiences didnt stop me trying again. Try a different gp or different surgery or both.

All the best xxx

L

lizzie7

Thank you Chaz. I don't know what I was hoping for, I don't really want medication or anything I just want someone to help me as I don't know what else I can do! This GP said to me 'It's like when you go into an exam - you are anxious but perhaps you will do better in the exam!' I was just like ??!?!?!

I spent so long freaking myself out about going in the first place and it's massively knocked me back. I am glad that you have finally found a GP who is willing to listen to you and help you. I can only hope that I will have the same luck eventually. I immediately went and registered with another surgery yesterday as I never ever want to go back to that one! So maybe this one will be better. I hope!

xxx

chazxxx

chazxxx

I think personally if i had to go again i would approach it differently. I would write down a list of my symptoms, how long its been effecting me for, to what degree its been effecting me etc. Because i feel like when i speak the doctors latch on to one or two things that i say and i don't get a chance to fully explain myself. - even with my current gp i think did this, she latched on to the fact that i said i wasn't sleeping much so wanted to give me meds to help that. Not taking into account that poor sleep was pretty much intentional because i was always worried id feel worse in the morning.

They have a 10minute window so its really hard to get to say everything you need to say in that time.
Also id look into if theres any therapy or counselling available near you particularly if your not interested in any medication. Just talking through things with someone can be a major relief. But yeah please dont give up on the gp's many don't seem to understand mental health that well, the last one i saw was more understanding as she said she experienced it herself recently.

Xxx

L

lizzie7

That's a really good idea, if I am brave enough to go again I will definitely write everything down. I did find it really hard to explain it, plus the fact he wouldn't let me get a word in edgeways! At least then if I can't speak or am too emotional I can just show the list.

I have a card for the local counselling service, I tried the number twice following my appointment but there was no answer so that made me even more hysterical. I think I need to calm down a bit before I give it another go or I will make no sense at all if I get through to anyone!

Thank you for your advice and telling me about your experiences. I really appreciate it as I started to feel I was being overdramatic or it was my own fault.

xxx

chazxxx

chazxxx

No problem. No your not overdramatic and its definately not your fault. I remember how i felt each time after i left my gp, feeling belittled and stupid and melodramatic, it truely is aweful and im sorry you had such a bad experience. I wish gp's had a better understanding. Its hard enough to pluck up the courage to ask for help let alone being belittled when you do!
-ooh also you can ask the receptionist if any of the gp's area's of interest are mental health. Hopefully then you'll get someone more understanding.

And yeah thats totally understandable, take your time with it. Im sorry they didn't answer either, some services are getting to be known as unreliable unfortunately. :(

But let us know how your getting on. This forum is a good place to come to when you need a little support too. Full of lots of lovely people here who understand what its like.

Xxx

bulbie

bulbie

Hang on in there sweetcheeks. This will be a long journey, it will be a hard journey, but you will get there I promise.

tabbykitten

tabbykitten

I’ve been so lucky with my GP. I always take a list of symptoms, concerns etc whether it is a physical problem or a mental one. GP is happy to read my notes and write his own comments for me in the notebook. Results of tests etc, what is normal.
He was also the one who suggested I tried St John’s Wort for my depression and anxiety when the worst of the problem eased after having been on SSRI’s for ages and ages and ages.
So definitely write things down. When we are stressed it is all too easy to forget to tell the medics about what we have actually been experiencing.

OK I know a lot of you have had very bad experiences with the health services and especially the crisis teams so I do appreciate how lucky I am.

H

Helena1

Staff Member on Leave
i would also say see a different gp if he was not listening to your concerns, at my current practice i have seen 2 or 3 before i found a good one. it is always best imo to get a general blood tests done if you have mental health issues to rule out any physical issues that could be causing or exacerbating the mental issues you are experiencing.