• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Meds,seroquel, what is everyones experience on it?

M

mickeymoo

I am going to start this tonight.

What can I expect and what is everyones experience on it?

Thanks

S

shell

hey

I found it very sedating I take 300mg at night. I feel my depression has lifted and anxiety but I don't know if that is the depakote I'm taking as well ??? The only problem I'm having as well is my legs seem restless at night and I'm not sleeping at the mo but again that might be the depakote. How much are you taking ? Small doses are ment to be more sedating than higher ones.

M

mickeymoo

I have been told to start on 50mg at night and 25in the day if I need it so very small dose!

Modelaeroman

Modelaeroman

Hi,

I take 200mg of Quetiapine at night along with 150 mg of Venlafaxine. I started off at 300mg of Quetiapine, about 6 months ago. I found for the first week I was totally wasted just literally out of it. After the first week I started to come back to planet earth but was still very vacant. I think it took me about four weeks before I was able to leave the house and be confident I wouldn't end up spark out in the middle of the road !! Lol. I have now been on it six months and dropped down to 200mg and apart from feeling a little groggy in the morning I find it works pretty good.

I would say get everthing done that needs doing urgently and if you are emlployed phone in sick for at least a week before you start taking it because you won't be going anywhere or feel like doing anything for a couple of weeks.

Don't be put off though it didn't make me feel sick or anything like that and it does give you a really nice feeling of serenity and if you can't sleep, Quetiapine will certainly make you, believe me !!

BTW I am bipolar two with rapid cycling.

Good Luck !!

Kev

S

skyblue

Very small doses of Seroquel, say roughly 40mg and under are used for sedation. Say if somebody is having trouble with their thoughts aswell as sleep. It's used like another form of a general sleeping tablet. They're often prescribed for the elderly to calm nerves, anxiety etc, but also adults alike.

Your doctor maybe prescribing you 75mg to see how you get on with it. If it helps with your thoughts, auditory hallucinations etc, then this will obviously be the right dose for you, but I would imagine she'll increase it bit by bit, just depending on you.

I take Seroquel/Quetiapine and I started off on 150mg, then my doctor increased it to 300mg, then 400mg.

I think it's a really good drug, it's helped me, with depression, anxiety, panic, unwanted thoughts, sleep, auditory and visual hallucinations etc.

Has your doctor mentioned a mood stabiliser, to stable your moods in combination with Seroquel ? I also need to take a stabiliser to be well.

I hope Seroquel works for you, just aswell as it's worked for me :), you'll feel so much better on it.

But, like I always say, what med's work for one person doesn't necessarily work for another. It's all trial and error, so don't be disappointed if they don't work for you because there are plenty of other anti-psychotics out there.

Hope this helps. x

M

mickeymoo

no skyblue, I am a bit confused she didnt mention a stableiser but said this has stabalising properties but is gd for depression that I suffer from

S

skyblue

no skyblue, I am a bit confused she didnt mention a stableiser but said this has stabalising properties but is gd for depression that I suffer from
Yes, I agree. It does have slight stabilising properties - but not a great deal, which is why a stabiliser is often added in combination.

But there is no need to worry over it Mickey, because this is all you may need or also as mentioned before, your doc may increase it if needed, add a stabiliser if needed and so on. It just depends on how you get on with it and if it's helping you with your symptoms.

Like I said, I think it's a really good drug and I hope it works out for you and that you start feeling much better soon.

All the best :flowers:

W

Watercolours

I am taking 75mg of Seroquel at night and have been for some months, it works for and I have noticed a big difference. I also take 300mg of Venlafaxine and also 250mg of Topiramate (mood stabiliser). It’s taken a long time to get on the correct combination of meds but there is a possibility the Seroquel will go up to 100mg yet and the Topiramate to 300mg.

R

riverofdragons

I take 200mg a day half at night and half in the morning. its given me my life back. my mind is quiet and the anxiety is reduced. I am so glad they put me on it.

B

Bradders

I'm on 100mg a night and it knocked me about for the first week or so but its getting easier to manage. The side effects do wear off eventually.

A

AussieGirl

Knocked me out totally!

Hey there

Seroquel at any dose I took knocked me out totally. I'd find that if I took it just before I went to be (say 11pm) that I'd be absolutely exhausted and really struggle to wake up in the morning.

This gets a bit better if you take it earlier in the evening (like an hour before you have tea) - good luck with them, they didn't work for me but all fingers and toes cross they do for you hun

CJ

xxxx
:grouphug: