• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

For more features and forums

New meds and CMHT

A

AAGille93

Hello, sorry for the long rambling post but here goes.. Bit of a background into the dilemma

basically after years of trying different typical and atypical antipsychotics Oral and depot forms, ECT and many inpatient admissions my last one being from January this year til April I was told that I had untreatable paranoid schizophrenia. I was trialled on Clozapine IM (first one in the trust to be put on it) on the last stay as a last chance med but it made my bloods deranged so it had to be stopped. I was given the stark choice of discharge back to the CMHT or transfer to a long stay hospital.. obviously I chose discharge to care of my CMHT.
Since then I have been medication free and according to my CPN and Psych I am still symptomatic of illness and quite frankly some of the stuff that’s been happening has been scaring the living life out of me so much so that I sleep with a weapon under my pillow for if the spies get into my house. The CMHT psych then has decided to prescribe me a drug called Cariprazine. I’ve never heard of this so obviously I did my usual and went onto dr google, and let’s put it this way it does NOT sound like a drug I want to be on at all. I struggle with sleep and even my prescribed diazapam doesn’t do the trick.. has anyone got any experience of this drug or a combo that you find helped that I could suggest to him (especially if your classified as treatment resistant)
Sorry for the long post but any advice would be more than welcome, Thankyou x

O

On Fire

All drugs have side effects, and Cariprazine does not seem worse, from reading Wikipedia, than other atypical antipsychotics, although I have not personally taken it.
Quetiapine does not stop my psychosis, but Aripiprazole does. It is just about finding that right medication, hopefully.

O

On Fire

Do you have an elevated mood?

L

Lab rat

I was just as psychotic off meds as I am on meds. I guess you learn to handle it. If a medication helps, great, but if not, it’s time to dust off the coping strategies

A

AAGille93

The wellest i have been according to the psych and my CPN was when I was on olanzapine depot but that stopped working as my body became tolerant to it..

I’m trying my best to navigate it all, but it’s confusing especially with the assignment that I’m currently undertaking..