• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

• Safety Notice: This section on Psychiatric Drugs/Medications enables people to share their personal experiences of using such drugs/medications. Always seek the advice of your doctor, psychiatrist or other qualified health professional before making any changes to your medications or with any questions you may have regarding drugs/medications. In considering coming off psychiatric drugs it is very important that you are aware that most psychiatric drugs can cause withdrawal reactions, sometimes including life-threatening emotional and physical withdrawal problems. In short, it is not only dangerous to start taking psychiatric drugs, it can also be dangerous to stop them. Withdrawal from psychiatric drugs should only be done carefully under experienced clinical supervision.

New medication advice wanted please..

V

vince22

I went with my wife to our new doctors today and he has changed her medication as he said she should not have been on it for as long as she had and it obviously isnt working. she was on duloxetine 60mg for 2 yrs and has become more depressed recently.

he has given her a weakened dose for 8 days then a 24 hour gap then start the new tablets. I dont understand why she cannot start the new ones straight away i never had chance to ask him. i presume its because of the side effects...?

He has changed it to Fluoxetine 20mg are these any good does anyone have any experience of them please.

Many thanks for any advice given. :)

R

Robbert

Perhaps your wifes doctor wants to give her a weakened dose for 8 days to help prevent any withdrawal symptoms.

Fluoxetine is also known as Prozac, once the biggest selling anti-depressant in the world.

I have experience of fluoxetine, but not experience that would be helpful to share - basically, I reacted badly to it; as I do all anti-depressants.

In my view fluoxetine is safer than more modern ones like Sertraline or Paroxetine.

It sounds like your doctor hasn't given you much in the way of info; perhaps you should ask him these questions as well?

Best of luck with it.

Angels

Angels

i was on 20mg of fluoxitine but this is the way i reacted.. i was happy for a couple of weeks then i had a crash. that then went up to 30 .. i was happy then crashed then it went to 40 then i just put them down and told myself to stop being stupid. Just cold turkeyed it and experianced no withdrawl symptoms.
Better off without them to be honest.

F

ffleaderman24

Duloxetine is a SNRI which is different from SSRI's such as Fluoxetine.SNRI's block the reuptake of Serotonin and Norepinephrine,while SSRI's only block the reuptake of serotonin.
Fluoxetine is the weakest SSRI and 20mg is a low dose.I was on 60mg fluoxetine and found it helped with my mood,but it caused anxiety.I came off Fluoxetine and i am now on Citalopram 30mg.Fluoxetine stays in the system the longest out of all antidepressants, which means coming off it has less severe withdrawal effects than other AD's.SNRI's are slightly more effective than SSRI's and i can't see why the doctor would put her on a less effective medication.Hope that helped.

R

Robbert

There's no real difference in effectiveness / efficacy between SSRI's and SNRI's overall.

They're generally used for different things - SSRI's are popular for treating anxiety.

There are some differences in efficacy between individual drugs in each class for certain disorders - the differences are so slight.

Basically, the only real differences between these drugs are the half lives and the side effects. Fluoxetine is safer in that it has a very long half life - it means you're less likely to flip out when you stop taking it.

The most effective anti-depressants (allegedly) are usually in a class of their own , Venlafaxine for example.

There are even some people who believe that anti-depressants are no more effective than placebo. :tea:

Last edited:
M

mill3r30

Hi am new to this, but I was on Fluoxetine and found them to be of No use what so ever, i felt very sick on them and when I said to the doctor he told me just to come off them

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
Can someone explain how Citalopram works (apologies if this has been explained before but my brain is dead at the moment!)

I was put on this med about 3 months ago after being on fluoxetine for years. I thought it was the miracle drug as after a couple of weeks I felt brilliant. This lasted for quite a while then about 2 or 3 weeks ago I started to feel low and this has got worse and worse to the point where I am not coping at all - I feel like Im under a huge black cloud.

TiredTina

TiredTina

Admin
Apologies, I think I just hijacked someone's thread - I told you my brain was dead! :hijacked:

R

Robbert

Can someone explain how Citalopram works (apologies if this has been explained before but my brain is dead at the moment!)

I was put on this med about 3 months ago after being on fluoxetine for years. I thought it was the miracle drug as after a couple of weeks I felt brilliant. This lasted for quite a while then about 2 or 3 weeks ago I started to feel low and this has got worse and worse to the point where I am not coping at all - I feel like Im under a huge black cloud.
Hi tina.

Citalopram is an SSRI (Selective Seratonin Re-uptake Inhibitor). It increases the level of seratonin available to cells throughout the whole body (Yep, the whole body. Only a few percent of seratonin is in the brain - most seratonin is actually found in the digestive tract believe it or not). It acts at 'auto-receptors' on pre-synaptic cells. It stops seratonin being taken back up into the presynaptic cell; in doing so, more seratonin is available for the post-synaptic cell to use. In short, there are more happy chemicals floating around between the neurons in your brain, and more happy chemicals availabel to the neurons in your brain...so, in theory, it should make you happy. But that doesn't seem to be the case for many people.