• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New magical thinking OCD stressing me out

• Thread starter Sapphirepenguin9900
  • Start date
S

Sapphirepenguin9900

I have had this magical thinking OCD for a while now which basically revolves around items being "cursed" if I don't perform compulsions. For example I don't do a compulsion right and then whatever I am wearing becomes cursed then can give me bad luck.

It has gotten out of hand now because now I have this idea of whatever I touch with that item or do while touching it also becomes cursed. So say my t shirt is cursed...then my jumper and trousers also become cursed because they were touching it...or if I were to take a photo wearing those clothes I would have to delete it as that would be cursed.

It was too hard to deal with at first, but I have stupid habit of saying my OCD thoughts out loud to counter act the having to do the compulsion. I will say "If you do the compulsion this shirt will be cursed" then I either forget I ever said it or give in a do the compulsion anyway and end up making the anxiety even worse. It is getting stressful because I spend most my day now trying to "fix" all the times I mess up and "curse" stuff so I don't get bad luck.

D

dansell123

OCD is the curse--the curse doesn't lie in the objects but in your thoughts. The stress of your thoughts gets transformed into a stress with dealing with objects. Look for the root of your anxiety in your mind rather than worrying about what's is happening with the objects you are associating with. If you keep trying to rid your life of objects that are cursed, you won't be able to rid yourself of the curse that is OCD.

S

Sapphirepenguin9900

OCD is the curse--the curse doesn't lie in the objects but in your thoughts. The stress of your thoughts gets transformed into a stress with dealing with objects. Look for the root of your anxiety in your mind rather than worrying about what's is happening with the objects you are associating with. If you keep trying to rid your life of objects that are cursed, you won't be able to rid yourself of the curse that is OCD.
thanks I’m trying but it’s really hard especially when I’m obsessed with numbers too (like the number thirteen being bad) if I do something on a bad number then it will be cursed for example I woke up at thirteen past the hour this morning tried to get back to sleep, then woke up thirteen minutes later. Tried again then saw a thirteen when I opened Facebook. I feel like I can’t win, like it is being done on purpose. Now I’m convinced my whole day of cursed.

M

morty2

hi just sending love x hope some one can help x
I have OCD and Magical thinking(as my counsellor suggested it is) that changes all the time. If i see words i dont like when i do certain things like buy things,,get dressed ect then harm will come to me and i have to get rid of the items or perform the ritual over and over. Yes its your thought its not the object,,its just an object,its what you have put on to the object,your thoughts and beliefs so to speak. I try and say to myself now"its just an object",what significance has it got?.Why this object and not the one over there?. I tend to not like objects, and they change all the time and new ones are added. It can be a brand of milk. An item of clothing. A book title,,anything. I have found it helps to really think "what am i afraid of,its a thing". It may not work and i know OCD is hard struggle. Your not alone.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
I OCD Religious Magical Thinking - anyone else? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
S Severe Magical thinking OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
B Religious and magical thinking OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 29
S Severe magical thinking, can’t function anymore Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
D Magical thinking Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 18
L Magical thinking with time taking over my thoughts, super distressing. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 7
jajingna Does the content of obsessive thinking matter much? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B gossip and paranoid thinking. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
K Is this self-harm ocd or suicidal thinking? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
R Can’t stop thinking about past incidents obsessive thoughts Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
Y Thinking non-stop about being a trans Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 15
R Thinking of the worst all the time Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 11
O How do I stop thinking I’m pregnant Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
midnightphoenix i keep thinking Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
A Intrusive Thoughts, Thinking I Have Said Them Out Loud! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
C Mental compulsion OCD/ compulsive thinking - please help me Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
N Over thinking about food Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
L cant stop thinking about my breathing Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B Thinking that you are better Makes you better?! Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
B obssesive loops of thinking Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D "Stop thinking Start living" by Richard Carlson Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M Stressed Out Over Irrational and Untrue Thinking Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 5
C Thinking loops and acting scenarios when alone Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
G New treatment for OCD - brain pulses Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
S Ocd back Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
E OCD (fear of being poisoned) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
J Methods to beat OCD effectively Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
R Horror ocd pure Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
K Beating OCD, Intrusive Thoughts, PURE-O and everything in between Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
stevie_sloth Tourettic OCD anyond? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
J Scared about my OCD symptoms. Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
D Heart palpitations and ocd Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 9
T Am I having OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
J Worsening of ocd 'pure o' Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
R just realised how serious my OCD is, after going too far ... Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
K I think I have OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
G Please help. Ocd COVID disaster :( Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
D Advices for helping person with OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
M OCD focusing on a real event Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
D Pure ocd - in need of some support/guidance… Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 31
L False Memory OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
A Existential OCD Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 12
E Ocd Panic please help Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
M OCD and Involuntary movement Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 8
C I need help on this one ( OCD ) Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3
B Have You Identified Your OCD Triggers? and How Did You Identify Your OCD Triggers? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 4
B Which meds help your OCD? Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 6
Amelia2020 My ocd is getting worse Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 1
N Disturbing OCD thoughts keep forcing invasive thoughts into my head and I cant control it Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 2
O Ocd advice. Ocd and negative associations Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum 3