• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New Job?

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

I don't know if I've put this in the right place or not, so feel free to move it if nec :).

Well basically I'm needing a bit, well help I suppose. So yeah, I'm struggling along with the bipolar and I'm in work (sorry if I appear to be rubbing it in to you that don't I don't mean to). I now cannot stand this job and I'm looking for another, I'm not getting anything out of it and I'm pretty sure it could well be making my episodes worse as I'm stuck in an office 8 hours a day not having contact with anyone except on my dinner hour and by text if I'm lucky enough to get a signal in here!
I stumbled across a Community Mental Health Support Worker's job in Leeds and I took a look, it's 37 hours a week, good pension and annual leave and up to £20k a year. All the "essential" criteria I fit and I also fit the "desirable" too (according to friends and boyfriend( - the main one they looked for in essential were "to have a good knowledge of mental health and the issues from either working for MH services or from being a service user". So they are actually not bothered about hiring someone with a mental health issue.

I've always wanted to do this type of work if I'm honest. So I guess I just wanted yours guys advice if you think I should maybe go for it?

Thankies
:flowers:

aphex2k

aphex2k

Might be able to help here...

Does being a community mental health worker require you to be qualified? Reason being is thats the sort of field I want to work in, with people in the community rather than informal/formal on a ward (I can't stand wards!)

However, for me to work in the community they want some ward experience first, like 6 or 12 months.

Why don't you have a word with your boss and explain that the job isn't suiting you at the moment, and explain about the CMHT role you're interested in. See if you could blag a week off see if you can volunteer at a local unit or day centre, or tag along with an existing community visitor for a day? That way you can begin to understand the role and see if you like it, rather than just jackin everything in in pursuit of more fulfillment. Sometimes looking at other jobs makes you feel a little more satisfied with the job you're currently doing!

After chatting with your boss, he/she may say "oh there's X job coming up here soon" or "this role is being developed, why not try it?".

The plus side of office work is that you do the hours, and go. Community work often makes you spend lots of time over what you're expected to do, for no extra pay (and usually no extra thanks!).

What job do you do now, and what are you interested in?

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

The Job description doesn't say anything about wanting experience in wards or about being qualified - it's basically a key/project worker they're looking for to offer some support in the community to people with MH issues - kinda like J does for me, but she was a MH nurse but that has nothing to do with her job now, she just fancied a little change from nursing for a while but she wanted to stay in MH!

Believe me, speaking with my boss is out of the question! When I got my 'diagnosis' I went and told him and his reply was "no you haven't, I knew a guy who had it and you're nothing like him". Plus I've been in this job a year and I've only just been set on full time and he did that as a 'favour' to me.
New jobs come up in this company all the time but none interest me - I'm not interested in social housing, the only reason I took this job in the first place was because I needed a job and wanted money :( looking back probably shouldn't have done.

My cousin used to do community work for the elderly and she always worked over for not being paid and used to moan (saying that she moaned about working full stop), but I don't think I'd mind if I'm honest! I wouldn't mind doing a key/project workers job in mental health, it's always interested me but I never got a chance to persue it and I don't think I'm in a position for study at the moment, maybe one day in the future though.
I used to work for Turning Point (only as a receptionist) but I liked the look of what the project workers did and always asked what they did, what it involved etc. Plus I met K through there and he was a project worker there so he's told me what he did and what this work could include!

At the moment I just do admin for a social housing company (council houses), I very rarely get to leave the office.

Last edited:
aphex2k

aphex2k

So it's fair to say your current boss is a bit of an ignorant twonk.

Hmm.

Well, I still think you should try it out somehow. Anywhere you can volunteer @ for a couple of hours a week? Nothing too demanding, just to get an idea of the job.

It's a tough role. Imagine taking on the problems and worries of 20 people, as well as dealing with you own.

I think (honest opinion) that you need a period of stability that you are happy with - say 6 months. Prove to everyone that you can cope, you're doing well and you have optimism and excitement for the future. Stick with your current job and be the better person. Perhaps you could have a chat with your boss, take him leaflets and info about your condition so that he cuts you more slack. It's possible he just doesn't understand it at all. Bi-polar vastly different from one person to another. You know that, but tell him. (See it as promotion and education! If you go for this community role you'll be doing lots of this!).

As healthcare professionals we learn from books and from what we're taught, but the best way of learning is experiencing something. I'd have no problem working side by side with a service user. Not one bit.

The ball's in your court:woohoo:

J

jamesdean

So it's fair to say your current boss is a bit of an ignorant twonk.

Hmm.

Well, I still think you should try it out somehow. Anywhere you can volunteer @ for a couple of hours a week? Nothing too demanding, just to get an idea of the job.

It's a tough role. Imagine taking on the problems and worries of 20 people, as well as dealing with you own.

I think (honest opinion) that you need a period of stability that you are happy with - say 6 months. Prove to everyone that you can cope, you're doing well and you have optimism and excitement for the future. Stick with your current job and be the better person. Perhaps you could have a chat with your boss, take him leaflets and info about your condition so that he cuts you more slack. It's possible he just doesn't understand it at all. Bi-polar vastly different from one person to another. You know that, but tell him. (See it as promotion and education! If you go for this community role you'll be doing lots of this!).

As healthcare professionals we learn from books and from what we're taught, but the best way of learning is experiencing something. I'd have no problem working side by side with a service user. Not one bit.

The ball's in your court:woohoo:
Such good quality sound advice:salut:Though you could look into it Lozzi but perhaps after:santa: have a good evening all

Lozzi_1004

Lozzi_1004

Thankies for the advice :).

Yes he's like that. I can see I'm coming to the end of my time here - I really can't stand it and my computers on the blink from where I punched it the other day. My boss wouldn't bother reading them, he doesn't listen and I proper had a go at him early last week about it and called him a fcuking C U Next Tuesday :redface: and then all he did was say "alright love". Taking leaflets in isn't an option they'd be binned. A girl here went on the sick 'cos of her drinking problems and EVERYONE (except A and me) take the mick out of her. I tried explaining that it's very individual and he wouldn't have it "this guy" was like this blah blah blah... I'm stuck in a place that you have to be a "man's man" just to fit in - being a girl doesn't help. Since being here my vocabularly has reduced and I swear a lot more and I don't like it

There isn't really anywhere like that around here, the CMHT which I was part of before being moved to Insight doesn't allow volunteers, suppose I could ask J tomorrow if I could volunteer there, but how I don't know 'cos I work all through the week and I have no holidays left. I'm gonna walk out I think fcuk them all! :evil:

I think I'm gonna apply this time around anyways, the worst they can say is no and in which case when the next applications come up I may well have more experience etc and could get it. There's no harm in trying is there? I think I'm pretty stable I've been fine all week really :D I might just tell that pdoc tomorrow to not bother and ill just chat with J!