• Welcome! It’s great to see you.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

New here.

M

manster

Hi. I was recently diagnosed with BPD (about a week ago). Currently, I'm having feelings of being the only one, feeling alone, no one understands, etc.

Honestly, my diagnosis explains so much for me. Random outburst, loving someone one minute then hating them the next, really intense emotions, self-harm. It's nice to know there's something to explain how I've felt for so long. I'm excited to get the help I need, I've been seeing a therapist once a week for the past few months and I have my first DBT on Friday.

I've been writing in a journal everyday. That's been helpful. Also, I got about six books (in the super obsessive manor that rules my life). I quit drinking the first of November, that was tough after about six or seven years of heavy drinking, but now I am feeling a lot better. I was able to have just ONE glass of wine the other day and that was such a good feeling. I feel like I have been making some good steps, but I'm also waiting for the day it all crashes down on me.

It's definitely been weird being able to know what's going on. What was finding out for you like? How do you feel you have bettered yourself? And do you have any advice to give?

Thank you! I'm excited to talk to you!

Ghost_Owl

Ghost_Owl

Forum Guide
It sounds like you are doing all you can for yourself. I hope you can take a moment to be proud of that.

My own battle with Bipolar only transitioned to better once I made the effort to understand it. Initially I rejected the notion entirely, was hostile to the thought of being ill. I was just creative and eccentric and blessed and cursed by 'ghosts'. But after causing serious damage in my loved ones life I tried to accept it. I also got my own loved ones to understand as well. I am fortunate that they made the effort to read along with me. Took the journey with me and helped me forward when I literally couldn't. My loved ones are a serious element of my support network.

The only advice I can give is to take things day by day, try and maintain these good habits. Be open with your therapist and essentially experiment with the strategies provided. Until you get to a standard of being okay enough. A crash could well occur but try and keep it in perspective that this is a new journey. There will be ups and downs as you try and get closer to wellness. Therapy will likely chuck up a lot for you and provoke different moods. While you feel like you are doing well now. Maybe write a letter to yourself for when it may go bad. Something to look at to remind yourself what you are journeying towards. Also don't just focus on the illness exclusively, be sure to grow your other passions.

Lastly welcome to the forum.

M

manster

It sounds like you are doing all you can for yourself. I hope you can take a moment to be proud of that.

My own battle with Bipolar only transitioned to better once I made the effort to understand it. Initially I rejected the notion entirely, was hostile to the thought of being ill. I was just creative and eccentric and blessed and cursed by 'ghosts'. But after causing serious damage in my loved ones life I tried to accept it. I also got my own loved ones to understand as well. I am fortunate that they made the effort to read along with me. Took the journey with me and helped me forward when I literally couldn't. My loved ones are a serious element of my support network.

The only advice I can give is to take things day by day, try and maintain these good habits. Be open with your therapist and essentially experiment with the strategies provided. Until you get to a standard of being okay enough. A crash could well occur but try and keep it in perspective that this is a new journey. There will be ups and downs as you try and get closer to wellness. Therapy will likely chuck up a lot for you and provoke different moods. While you feel like you are doing well now. Maybe write a letter to yourself for when it may go bad. Something to look at to remind yourself what you are journeying towards. Also don't just focus on the exclusively, be sure to grow your other passions.

Lastly welcome to the forum.

Thank you so much! Very good to meet you! :)

B

Bbbppp

In mental health battles it's always like that. You feel like you'r the only one feeling that way. But it's not. There are a lot of people who understand you and been there before. You'r doing fine.