• Welcome! It’s great to see you. Our forum members are people, maybe like yourself, who experience mental health difficulties or who have had them at some point in their life.

If you'd like to talk with people who know what it's like

New here with a silly question

P

photogirl

Founding Member
I finally set up an appointment today to see a psychiatrist for the first time in my life, looooong overdue. However, the soonest I can get in is an entire month from now. I feel like I need to talk to someone now before I have a complete nervous breakdown. I know there are suicide hotlines, but I'm not suicidal. Does anyone know of a place I can call and talk to someone? I don't know of any local places where I can walk in. Any suggestions? Thanks!

M

Michael

Founding Member
Only a month - you are a lucky girl!

By helplines do you mean Samaritans? if so you do not need to be suicidal to speak to them, you can ring or if you have a local centre go down and do a face to face chat.
It is wrong to generalise, but in the instance I will, they are very good and listen to what you have to say.
You can even E mail them as well!

One other suggestion is what you have been doing here -

Michael

dunglen

dunglen

Founding Member
I finally set up an appointment today to see a psychiatrist for the first time in my life, looooong overdue. However, the soonest I can get in is an entire month from now. I feel like I need to talk to someone now before I have a complete nervous breakdown. I know there are suicide hotlines, but I'm not suicidal. Does anyone know of a place I can call and talk to someone? I don't know of any local places where I can walk in. Any suggestions? Thanks!
samaritans usually have a drop in session and like Michael says they will listen, not judge and may offer you some support before your medical appointment comes through

Mistaken Identity

Mistaken Identity

Founding Member
your local YMCA should offer some kind of support as well.

D

Dollit

The Samaritans will talk to you as will your local MIND office. If you see someone with whom you identify on the forum you can send them a private message and ask if it's okay to talk. You don't say what area of the country you're from as a lot of the localised services differ from place to place. Have you asked your GP for an appointment to talk - presumably they made the referral and so are aware of how you are. :hug: