• Share. Be Supported. Recover.

We are a friendly, safe community supporting each other's mental health. We are open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

New here, struggling with debilitating anorexia nervosa and depression.

• Thread starter anorexias_victim
  • Start date
A

anorexias_victim

I just wanted to come on here to see if there’s anyone else like me?

Louizard

Louizard

I am not like you, but we are all different after all. Personally, I suffer from depression and anorexia as a symptom, and because of that I can share some feelings with you. But our struggles are just a tiny part of who we are, no matter how present they are in our daily life.
Welcome to the community, we hope to learn more about the beautiful person you are, with all your flaws and wishes.

A

anorexias_victim

What do you mean anorexia as a symptom of depression? You mean because you’re so depressed you can’t eat and are a low weight or what I’m not sure? Sorry if that’s too foward you obviously don’t have to answer

Louizard

Louizard

It's alright, I'm open to talk! Anorexia nervosa, your case, is the clinical psychiatric disorder. Anorexia is the inability to eat, due to psychological conditions, or physical illnesses. So, in other words, yes I do have peaks of depression (and obsessive thoughts) where I'm completely unable to eat enough or at all, which causes weight loss, whether I like it or not (which I don't, I would like to gain weight).

A

anorexias_victim

I mean are you sure that you’ve been given the diagnoses of anorexia? Because any doctor or medical professional I’ve seen or any information I’ve read online says that the only difference between anorexia and anorexia nervosa is that anorexia nervosa is when underweight and a low bmi is present whereas anorexia you can still be healthy weight but if you’re saying you can’t eat due to depression and you dont like it that way and would prefer to gain then I don’t think anorexia is the right word to use. Not belittling your situation or struggle here at all either I know myself how awful depression is I’m not trying to make you’re struggles seem any worse than what they are so please If it comes across like that I don’t mean it like that just I don’t think it’s fair to say anorexia if it’s not an actual eating disorder??

Louizard

Louizard

I mean are you sure that you’ve been given the diagnoses of anorexia? Because any doctor or medical professional I’ve seen or any information I’ve read online says that the only difference between anorexia and anorexia nervosa is that anorexia nervosa is when underweight and a low bmi is present whereas anorexia you can still be healthy weight but if you’re saying you can’t eat due to depression and you dont like it that way and would prefer to gain then I don’t think anorexia is the right word to use. Not belittling your situation or struggle here at all either I know myself how awful depression is I’m not trying to make you’re struggles seem any worse than what they are so please If it comes across like that I don’t mean it like that just I don’t think it’s fair to say anorexia if it’s not an actual eating disorder??
Oh, that wording does make me sound uncaring, ahahaahah! Perhaps it works differently in Northern Ireland, or the language barrier is not helping me out explaining properly. From what I know, and from personal experience, anorexia is very much a symptom! What I don't know is whether it can also be an eating disorder per se, like anorexia nervosa is. Looks like it can.
All I can say merely comes from my personal experience.
In addition, I double checked on good old internet, but that is no doctor after all, Google says such weird stuff about mental illnesses.
But it looks like you have heard from many doctors, I can be wrong here. My diagnosis, all diagnosis processes, are one chaotic world, always changing, sometimes only used from professional worker to professional worker, It's likely I did get confused in the process.

A

anorexias_victim

None the less mental illness is shitty and although maybe you have got confused and it may not be quite the same as my anorexia it’s seems like you can still relate and understand the depression and loss of appetite even tho thoughts and triggers behind our loss of appetite may be different

Anime-Alchemy

Anime-Alchemy

Hello anorexias_victim, welcome to the forum.